iMac will not turn on

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by JEdiBeavis, Aug 7, 2002.

1. JEdiBeavis macrumors newbie

I have a Rev C iMac (Yum!) running OS 9.1.

It has always had a problem awaking from sleep, so we've taken to shutting it down every night. Unfortunately, now it doesn't want to turn on. :(

The power button on the iMac stays lit green even after we shut it down. The screen is blacked, the disk winds down, the fan shuts off, but the green light remains on. The only way to get the machine to turn on is to unplug it from the wall, plug it back in, and then hit the power button.

This is not an acceptable solution IMHO. We don't want our young children playing with electrical outlets or power strips.

Any ideas on how to fix this thing? :confused:

thanks in advance

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Take the iMac to the repair shop, it sound like a simple fault, maybe in the switch or in the power supply, should not cost too much :)

Ensign

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: iMac will not turn on

Sounds liek GLOD (green light of death), it affected the rev A-D iMacs somewhat frequently (particularly the rev A iMacs). mits a bad analog board. If you hook up another monitor to it (which requires a bit of jury rigging), it should work fine.

4. MacMaster macrumors 6502

...I have no idea if this will help, but try to upgrade its os. At least to 9.2.2!

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

MacMaster, maybe you didn't see the part where JEdiBeavis states that the computer will NOT turn on. :rolleyes:

The light staying on is a known issue, and should be covered (even though your Mac is out of warranty) and be a free repair. Call Apple about it, get a case number and then contact your local AASP to schedule a repair.

It is (most likely) the Power/Analog/Video (P/A/V) board. I remember having an iMac with the same symptom that worked perfectly AFTER I replaced the Power/Analog/Video (P/A/V) board.

6. MacMaster macrumors 6502

See, he can get it to turn on if he does that. Maybe you missed that...:p

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

STILL sounds like the PAV board... ya mook. :p

8. MacMaster macrumors 6502

I agree AlphaTech...I was just suggesting one more thing he could try...

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Are we gonna have to separate the two of you? :)

10. MacMaster macrumors 6502

LOL!:p Alpha and I do seem to be going at it alot lately though...I wonder why?:rolleyes: :p

11. JEdiBeavis thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to have caused a stir. But the problem is fixed.

The keyboard was plugged into a USB hub instead of directly into the iMac itself.

Problem solved.

You guys were assuming I was brighter than I really am. I appreciate that.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Well, we won't make that mistake again... :p :D

Since you didn't mention the keyboard plugged into a hub, we didn't even think about it... MOST [intelligent] people would disconnect the hub and connect the keyboard directly into the iMac as one of the initial trouble shooting steps (before even thinking about asking for help). :rolleyes: :p :D :cool: