iMac: Wireless N Capable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LillieDesigns, Jul 26, 2006.

1. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I may be doing soemthing wrong, but my wireless g at the max can only go up to 54 mbps while my PC which is connected to my router via ethernet is 100 mbps. It seems that wireless n will greatly improve the distance and speed of my wireless connection. Will the intel iMac be able to connect to the n newtwork? Any suggestions on a better router than my wireless g linksys? I need to connect a PC, iMac, Laptop, and an xbox 360. Thanks!

2. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

No, the iMac Core Duo supports 802.11a/b/g (with 'a' being at 108Mb/s). You would need a new external card for 'n' speeds, and it would have to be Mac compatible. Although, I'm pretty sure your existing iMac would be able to "connect" fine to the N network, it will only get speeds of G.

3. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

My Linksys WKPC54G has terrible range, any suggestions on something that may put out a faster signal and have better range?

4. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Almost all 802.11n routers are backwards compatible with 802.11g. From what i've read you will get better range with an 802.11n router even if the wireless card in your computer only supports 802.11b/g.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You could get a repeater that would strengthen the wireless signal using a second device.

As for faster, the only thing you can do is wire it. You are hitting the peak speed of wireless, on any computer and there is nothing you can do about it.

6. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I guess using going wired is the only way to truly get a good signal. I'm going to need about 75-100 feet of ethernet wire. Do I need CAT5 ethernet wire? Any suggestions?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my only question about this wireless N stuff....

who actually has an internet connection that goes faster than 54mbps? seriously, i thought cable was maxing itself out at 8mbps right now? and we all know DSL isn't going those speeds.

i would love to be corrected though.

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Pre-N

I have a Belkin Pre-N in my attic and connect just fine to my iMac located on the first floor.

The range is much farther than my old B/G router. I can take my laptop pretty far outside the house and connect with full signal strength.

Unfortunately, I don't think they shipped the Mac with an upgradeable wireless card though...

9. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I'm pretty noobish with the whole internet speed thing, but my Local Area Connection currently says I'm connected at 100.0 Mbps. I may be understanding something wrong, but that's what it says under the status tab.

Edit: I'm using Comcast as my ISP.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you're connected at that speed to your router, but you're internect connection to you're router isn't going to be anywhere near that.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

that site will tell you what your internet speed really is.
    as long as your iMac can connect to your network that is pre-N i would think you're fine.

11. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

6,204 kbps DL speed
    354 kbps UL speed

My problem really is having the signal reach my room at its fullest. My room is only on floor up and not THAT far away form the router, yet I still get a Low signal on my laptop. People talke about connecting to their neighbor's wireless connections and I can't even have mine reach my bedroom.

12. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

As long as you can access your wireless network where you want it without your computer disconnecting, you shouldn't worry about trying to extend the signal because you'll just be giving yourself more trouble.

13. LillieDesigns thread starter macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I understand it's nice to have a signal, but when it's low it's only connected at 24mbps and it drops out and feels like dial up. I just spent $2,000 on an iMac and want to ahve the top performance possible; I guess this cannot be done with any wireless device.

14. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i have a d-link which i think works fantastically. it is only a 802.11b but i get the max signal from anywhere in my house (not that big a house, but still).

a friend of mine has a linksys which he says works great. he is using 802.11g and his house is a little bigger and he gets a strong signal everywhere.

FWIW, i haven't heard any good news about belkin products, but that just may be because everyone i know uses either d-link, linksys, or airport. good luck and i hope whatever you choose works out for the best.

15. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Take a look at Powerline products (Netgear makes them). They create a wireless network over the powerlines in your home, and the new ones are faster than Ethernet (around 124 MB/s.)