imac won't boot from HD, can i somehow get files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carriedieanna, Dec 31, 2006.

1. carriedieanna macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2006
    I'm new to these forums, so I'd like to start off by saying "Hi!". Okay, now the problem that brought me here...

My little brother's computer (g4 graphite tower) crapped out. I systematically figured out it is the logic board. I decided to install his old hard drive into my old strawberry iMac (g3) for the time being until we can either get a new logic board or a new computer for him. I can't get my imac to boot up from his hard drive. The computer does it's self-test chime then starts flashing the OS icon/question mark. Also present is the open firmware text dialogue. I've tried reseting the pram and the open firmware. Nothing seems to work.

All I'd like to do is to transfer a few of his files that he didn't back up (tisk, tisk) off his hard drive to one of my laptops before I wipe it and reinstall the OS. When the computer is started from a CD, I can see the files in his HD. I just can't figure out how to get them off it. I can't do the Target Disk Mode b/c the imac is pre-firewire. Can anyone help me? Thanks :)
  2. sabor macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2006
    I would buy an USB/FW enclosure and hook the IDE HD in order to get the files out of the HD. Without FW on your brother's iMac, it is hard to think of a solution. Good luck!
  3. carriedieanna thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2006
    For the last few hours i've been transfering via my flash drive while the computers booted from a CD. Lol, it's only a 128 MB & so slow! At least it's working. I hope I get everything he needs. Lol, maybe this will learn him.:D