Imac won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by vespasky, Jul 1, 2003.

1. vespasky macrumors newbie

Jul 1, 2003
    iMac Flat screen running OSx10.2

Problem: The screen froze and I tryed to reboot it by holding the start-up button in on the side of the computer. Now when I try to start up the chime starts and stops playing half way through. The screen is blank, nothing happens.

I have tried various things
    1. Checked power
    2. manually put the system disc into the CD Drive to see if I could start up of another disc - result: you can hear the CD whirling but it eventaully gives up.
    3. Tried to reset the PRAM but the system does not kick in enough for me to do that.

I am at wits end, any help would be appreciated.

2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    thats real odd. thats about everything i would think of to fix it. only bright idea i can think of is take it to a reseller, is it under applecare.

3. vespasky thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 1, 2003
    Unfortunately it is out of warranty, I am fairly good at solving problems but this one is a doosy
  4. pEZ macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Reset the PMU - exact same thing happened to me. My FP iMac would chime, the little white light in the corner would stay on, but then nothing would happen after that.

It's located underneath the computer, you have to take the metal shielding off the bottom and expose the RAM and Airport bays. It's in one of the corners, I can't really remember, behind the transluscent plastic stuff.
  5. vespasky thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 1, 2003
    Pez, thanks for the replay - that is what the problem is. I reset the PMU and it booted up. Crisis over.