iMac won't burn cd's or read blank dvd's - Worked for the Genius Bar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dr. Cheesesteak, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Dr. Cheesesteak macrumors member

I've been experiencing issues with my (early 2006) iMac not being able to finish burning a disc (Error Code 0x8002006E), as well as spitting out any blank dvd media I throw at it.

The strange thing is, I have not changed media types... I've been using these same discs for over a year (I don't burn a whole lot of stuff) and have yet to encounter a problem.

I realized today that I have literally 2 days left on my Applecare coverage, so I took it down to the Genius Bar to see if they could figure anything out. The guy booted from their diagnostic external HD, and was able to burn 3 cds and get the computer to recognize a blank dvd with no issue.

So I take it home and figure a total wipe and clean install should do the trick, but I'm sitting here now after doing so and am still not able to burn a single cd or read a dvd.... any thoughts on what this could be?

And as far as the media goes, I can stick the same disc in my MBP or Mini and they read and write to them just fine.... so I don't think I've suddenly come across a bad run of discs.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I did have an earlier (lamp-style) iMac that developed a very similar-sounding problem due to a failed optical drive, but it wasn't intermittent--it was a hardware failure so it just didn't work.

Of course, hardware failures CAN be intermittent, so there's some chance it's just flaking out on and off, especially if a clean install didn't help. I'd probably get me some extended AppleCare ASAP if I were you; it lists for $169.00 and can be had for less. That's probably somewhat more than a DIY optical drive replacement would cost, but if you have Apple do it it'll definitely cost more than that.