Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2005
My G4 imac(running 10.4.1) won't shutdown or restart except through the power button. If I select shutdown or restart from the finder, all the icons disappear but the desktop image remains and I can still move the cursor around. It just stays like that until I hit the power button...ok, here's everything I've tried so far, none have fixed it...
reset NVRAM
reset PRAM
run fsck through command line
run fsck through disk utility
repaired permissions
run cron scripts
logged out
nothing has worked, help me please....

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
How long did you wait. I had this happen a few times, had to wait about 5 minutes or so and it finally rebooted. Set your computer to reboot over night, and if its still the same way in the morning, you know you probably need to reinstall 10.4.

By the way, did you upgrade from 10.3, or do a clean install. How did you put 10.4 get on your old G4 iMac.

krunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I think I waited at least 5 minutes but I will try your advice...I upgraded from 10.3.8...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Let you mac on for a couple of nights. In the night your mac does some cleaning. When you shut it down, it does that cleaning at that moment. You can also use programs to do the cleaning when you want, such as macjanitor or cocktail. Run one of these programs and try shutting down then, I think that would make a world of difference. BTW, has your mac ever been tied to a network? If so, when shutting down it could be signing off (or trying) to a network (if that even exists). That takes a bit of time. Give it a couple of minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.