Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ukefc01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
Hi. My switched off my Imac yesterday and when I came to switch it on today it wont start up. There's no sign of life at all.

I have taken out anything that is connected and still have the same problem.

If I pull out the power cord from the back of the mac and then plug it back in and press the power button, there is a noise like it is about to start up but then it just lapses back into silence and stays powered down. So it doesn't appear to be a power cord issue.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hi. My switched off my Imac yesterday and when I came to switch it on today it wont start up. There's no sign of life at all.

I have taken out anything that is connected and still have the same problem.

If I pull out the power cord from the back of the mac and then plug it back in and press the power button, there is a noise like it is about to start up but then it just lapses back into silence and stays powered down. So it doesn't appear to be a power cord issue.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks.

You could try reset the SMC. To do this:

1) Pull out the power cord
2) Press and hold the power button down for 5 seconds
3) Let go of the power button
4) Plug the power cable back in and try turn it on again

Reactions: maflynn

LovinKansas

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
Quick question, what year is your iMac? General model information. Just curious as I recently lost a 2010 27" i5 iMac and have a bunch of info on what I found out. If yours is very new, my data is mostly likely not applicable.

ukefc01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
You could try reset the SMC. To do this:

1) Pull out the power cord
2) Press and hold the power button down for 5 seconds
3) Let go of the power button
4) Plug the power cable back in and try turn it on again

Thanks - it didn't work unfortunately.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'll take a -guess- that your power supply may have gone bad on you.

Hopefully some other suggestions will be posted here, but to be honest since it's now eight years old, probably not worth putting much money into it.

Time to start shopping for something new, or perhaps an Apple factory-refurbished unit. They are "as close to buying new" as you can get, and you even get a full 1-year warranty with them.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

ukefc01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2016
OK, when you try to turn it on again, please can you immediately press and hold CMD + ALT + P + R on your keyboard? Continue to hold those keys down for about 30 seconds.

Same result I'm afraid - it kicks into life for a second then dies again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.