iMac wont talk to any digital cameras.. help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kingsly, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

so my Intel iMac suddenly decided it no longer wants to play nice with any of the digital camera's in the house. iPhoto, Aperture, image capture... nothing. It says the files are unreadable/damaged.
    Umm.... the cameras work fine on the MacBook Pro and PBG4. (Canon 10D and Powershot SD300)

I was going to call AppleCare but its a sunday and I need the camera dumped to the iMac TONIGHT! Help?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    How are you connecting the cameras? Have you tried a different cable or port? :)
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Do the files work when read with a card reader?
  4. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

The same cable works with the MacBook Pro and Powerbook. Also, the computer sees the camera and begins downloading but after a few images it gives the error and stops.

Also, I have not tried it with a card reader because I don't have a SD reader. I wll try it with a compact flash reader though (for the 10D)
  5. macgeek77 macrumors regular

May 24, 2006
  6. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    In the meantime, import the photos onto the PB/MB, and transfer them across to the iMac via network, bluetooth or FireWire.
  7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

talked to apple... got a guy who wouldn't accept the idea that something could be wrong with the computer/apple/software. Apparently BOTH of my cameras, cables, and memory cards died on the same day.... NOT.
    Buddy, you're in the wrong line of work.

Anyways, I hung up and fixed permissions. Its working now but freezes/stalls often.

... now if I can only get my printer to print true color instead of tinting everything nuclear green.
  8. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    Perhaps try turning the software's "automatically suck the pictures from the camera" option off, then hook up the digital camera (at which time a new white "hard drive" of the digital camera's memory will show up on the desktop.) Open the camera's storage icon and open whatever folders are there until you find the pictures. Do a Select-All and drag the pics to the folder of your choice on your hard drive. Then eject the digital camera hard drive, disconnect the camera and run an image program and open some files that you just copied to see if they are okay. If it works, just keep doing it this way on that computer until you figure out why it could be doing that.