iMac won't wake up

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by beez7777, Oct 16, 2002.

1. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

occasionally, when i put my g4 iMac to sleep, especially for long periods of time, it won't wake up. usually, the light on the monitor breathes. sometimes it doesn't, this is when i have the problem of it not waking up. i can hear the hard drive spinning, but the screen is black and wont turn on. the only thing i can do i hold down the power button until it turns off. after this, it takes a long time to boot up. does anyone know how to fix this, or why it does this? im hoping its just a problem that'll be fixed with the release of 10.2.2

2. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Reboot it....and at start up, hold down apple+s... then type in fsck -y let it run the task (takes about 30-45 sec) if your system was modified... then type the code again until it says (your drive name) appears to be ok then type reboot.

3. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

it may just be that apple is still using maxtor's crappy hard drives. my summer 2001 g3imac often refuses to wake from sleep (the drive makes a loud beeping sound about every 20secs until i hit the power button). i believe that this is a hardware issue with the maxtor drives, so there's not much you can do about it. you could take it in to an apple representative and they may replace it for free, but it will most likely be replaced with another crappy maxtor.

4. mmcneil macrumors regular

Similar problems with G4 Powerbook

Recommend you run Disk Utility - select Disk First Aid - and run "Repair Permissions" this seemed to help the problem on my TiBook - you might also want to run "Repair" also.;)