iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tray, Dec 21, 2006.

1. tray macrumors member

Hi all,

I intend to get this iMac, (on the extreme left): The lowest-end 17' model.

I already own a 20' iMac and my two sisters have an iMac and a Macbook.

Purpose:
    1.I intend to use it together with the LCD TV in my living room and connect them via monitor spanning via the mini-DVI port on the Mac and then use a mini-DVI to VGA cable to connect it to my TV (which has a VGA port). I intend to use FrontRow on the TV (not on the Mac's LCD screen) to have music, video and movies on my TV streaming via Bonjour from another Mac in the household.
    2. I intend to connect most of the individual printers/scanners in the household all to this Mac where other Macs and Windows PCs (my parents) can connect to and use them.
    3. I intend to connect several external HDDs and run P2P programs on it 24/7, thereby relieving all the P2P downloading duties to this one Mac.

Questions
    1. Is the graphics card the Intel GMA950 sufficient to power the entertainment option, ala option 1.
    2. If i use the menu button on the Remote, does FrontRow appear on the Mac's screen or the TV screen?
    3. Although this iMac does not come with the Apple Remote, will it work with an Apple Remote? The complete specifications lists that it has an IR receiver.
    4. Is it safe to leave your Mac on for 24/7?
    5. Can a Windows PC connect to resources on a Mac, i.e. printers?
    6. Do i need to up the RAM to 1GB? I won't be using the Mac all day, since I'll be with my own Mac and so would my other family members.

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

1. Is the graphics card the Intel GMA950 sufficient to power the entertainment option, ala option 1.
    I would say yes but you'll likely be disappointed. A better graphics card will give you better results when connecting your iMac to a larger screen.

2. If i use the menu button on the Remote, does FrontRow appear on the Mac's screen or the TV screen?
    I think this depends on how you set up the display options; i.e., you can have the iMac display be the main display and the TV a secondary display or have the TV be the main display and the iMac the secondary or the TV the only display, etc. Play with the display configurations to see what you like best.

3. Although this iMac does not come with the Apple Remote, will it work with an Apple Remote? The complete specifications lists that it has an IR receiver.
    My understanding is that any Mac with an IR sensor will work with the remote. Why else would they put it in there?

4. Is it safe to leave your Mac on for 24/7?
    Yes, but I'd recommend putting it in sleep mode when you're not using it. Also, you'll notice it will start to slow down slightly after a few days/a week, so you should restart it so it can do some housekeeping.

5. Can a Windows PC connect to resources on a Mac, i.e. printers?
    Yes, although I'm unsure of how to configure this. I think it involves the sharing pane in System Preferences and adding the printer in Windows.

6. Do i need to up the RAM to 1GB? I won't be using the Mac all day, since I'll be with my own Mac and so would my other family members.
    Anyone who uses that computer will appreciate your upgrading the RAM. 512MB just doesn't cut it anymore - 1GB should be the bare minimum, IMO.

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

4. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Have you considered the Mac Mini? That would be able to do everything you need, without taking up nearly as much space, and saving some money.

If you set the external display as your primary display (under System Preferences -> Displays), when you start up Front Row it will display on the external display. However, in doing this, your iMac's screen will just go black, and you won't be able to use it for anything until you exit Front Row. I'm not sure if there is any way around this.

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

The only reason I'd use an iMac over a Mac mini is when I wouldn't want to turn on the TV when I want to listen to music. As you will have two screens, when you just want to listen to music you'll have it on the iMac's screen and for video you can turn on your TV.
    If you're going to use your TV exclusively, just buy a Mac mini.

6. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Why spend the extra to get an iMac? The Mac Mini fits perfectly IMO based on what you say you're planning to do. I assume the Graphics Part is pretty much the same as the low end iMac so why pay the extra? Plus, you get the remote with the Mac Mini. I think you mentioned hooking it up to an LCD TV, so why bother getting an iMac that might just make your living room "ugly". The iMac might not look good next to a huge LCD TV or maybe not to some, but at least for me. I never liked the idea of having computers in the living room anyway but I don't mind the mini sitting there.

Did u mention several HDs? This might be a perfect companion to do so, http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10476

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Apple's iTV may be released soon. This would likely do what you want or most of it. I'd go with a Mini rather then an iMac. For playing music the Airport Express works well

8. tray thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the prompt reply. with regard to point 1., does that mean that even the mac mini wouldn't do the job well?

9. tray thread starter macrumors member

i've thought of something like that as well. what is the predicted pricing for the iTV?

10. tray thread starter macrumors member

Yes, the mini is definitely a contender also due in large part to its small footprint. I think I made a silly mistake in my OP. My TV currently is just a Plasma TV. Please don't ask me why my dad does not buy that. I hooked up my Centrino Laptop in the past to it, and the resolution was too low to use for day-to-day tasks like surfing, word proecessing,file management. Thus, I figure its fine for entertainment (movies, music - because the TV can also link to the subwoofers and speakers). Therefore, i still need the Mac screen to use the Mac

11. tray thread starter macrumors member

I figure until i get a LCD TV and/or a HDTV, i still require the iMac screen.