iMacG4 HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMikeAllStar, Jul 22, 2005.

1. iMikeAllStar macrumors newbie

Heya, guys. I wanna upgrade my iMacG4 800 superdrive and hardrive but dunno what to buy...

Which is the BEST burner for my iMacG4 (it has to fit in the mac)?

What about HD? Can I put one IDE with 160 or 200GB at 7200? Which brand is best?

Thanks a lot all of u

:)

2. iMikeAllStar thread starter macrumors newbie

3. alexeismertin macrumors regular

alexeismertin

4. iMikeAllStar thread starter macrumors newbie

5. JonMaker macrumors regular

Make sure you know how to use thermal jelly, and don't use hotter (higher rpm) drives.
    Oh yeah... Good Luck. :cool:

6. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Faster drives are not necessarily hotter drives. As the drives advance, they tend to be faster and just as cool. I haven't researched this with desktop drives, but the 7200RPM notebook drives are not any hotter than the 5200RPM drives.

As far as recommending brands, I like Hitachi (formerly IBM). But everyone has some story like had 3 dead drives from brand XXX, you should really get brand YYY.

7. iMikeAllStar thread starter macrumors newbie

"Make sure you know how to use thermal jelly, and don't use hotter (higher rpm) drives. Oh yeah... Good Luck."

Thermal jelly? Hmmm... whats this jelly for? I read the do it yourself on xlr8yourmac.com, but it doesnt explain what the jelly is used for... Is it really needed?

Well, actually i'm thinking of buying a 160 or 200gb IDE drive (seagate or Maxtor, both 7200 rpm... do u yhink its alright?

Thanks!

8. Quark macrumors regular

I did exactly the same thing...

Hello iMikeAllStar!

I have recently upgraded my Flat Panel iMac G4 800 by putting in a 250GB HD (7200 rpm) and upgraded to a much, much faster and better Superdrive. In addition I upgraded the memory to 1GB total. 512 internal and 512 user-replaceable.

The products that you are looking for can be found at: http://www.otherworldcomputing.com/

The above mentioned web page (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/..._takeapart.html) that shows in detail with pictures how to properly disassemble the entire machine and how to replace the HD and the SuperDrive is what I used. It really is simple, just take your time and have the right tools handy. Oh, and don't worry about the jelly stuff.

After I did the upgrade I noticed that the machine screams!...(well, for a G4 800 Mhz) HD access is very, very fast as well as the CD/DVD access. And with the extra memory, I ended up breathing new life into the machine and it seems to be a completely new machine!

Have Fun! I strongly recommend making a bootable backup of your system to a firewire drive. With OS X 10.4 (Tiger), you can then do a completely clean installation and then have it use the new "Transfer" functionality to get all your personal settings and Users setup automatically. It worked like magic. Thank you Apple!!

Take care,
    Quark

9. iMikeAllStar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Quark... Thats what I needed to know! Thank you all a lot for taking the time to help me out!