iMacG5 and Photoshop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Lincoln, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Lincoln macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2003
    I'm thinking of getting an iMac G5 20" loaded with Ram. How will Photoshop perform on such a machine (using for my photography - Canon 8MP Raw Files)? Also can the built-in monitor be calibrated with a device such as a Gretag Eye-One display. If the answer is "you must be joking" than that's OK, I just thought I would ask to see if someone has tried. :eek:

I am no rush to get the iMac so will probably wait for the next revision and also for Tiger to be released.

Also looking forward to Photoshop CS2 - but there are other threads on that topic. :rolleyes:
  2. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    I had a 1.8GHz 20" iMac G5 with 1gb RAM, and Photoshop seemed to be about the same, or (very) slightly slower than my new 1.67GHz Powerbook.

So I'd say it'll be about 10% faster than the 1.5GHz Powerbook you've got.

As for calibration; I was planning on buying one of those devices, but never got around to it. I don't see why you couldn't use one though.
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Getting the machine loaded with ram is a good idea.

Yes, you can use a calibration device on the iMac G5 screen, You can even calibrate your laptop screen - which I recommend you do as well. The more things you calibrate, the better your pictures will look. And remember to calibrate the screens a couple of times a month as recommended.

Mac OS X allows calibration for pretty much any type of connected display. How well it works will depend on the quality of the screen among other things.
  4. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I have a 17" 1.8 G5 with a GB or RAM at my office, which I use Photoshop CS on every day. Post-processing work for aerial photographs taken with a 20D in RAW plus large JPEG.

It runs about 20% faster with Fred Miranda actions and my own actions on batches than my G4 1.25 at home (but with 2GB of RAM).

If you can afford it, 1.5 - 2.0 GB of RAM on this machine would be fantastic I started out with 768 and found it insufficient.

I use Pantone's Colorvision on all my monitors, and yes, with the iMac. Obviously, your entire workflow also has to use similar colorspaces or profiles if you expect accurate prints (I recommend Cathy's Profiles for anyone that prints most of their own work).
  5. torayama macrumors newbie

Nov 6, 2004
    Works fine at our office

We have three 20" 1Gb RAM G5 iMacs at our design office. We do photoshop CS work on them and they work fine. I still think a faster graphic's card would be great, but still it works just fine.
    - And silent.. :)
  6. Lincoln thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2003
    Thanks for the replies, looks like the iMac G5 might be enough for what i want to do. I was just a little worried that because the screen was bulit in it might not be calibrateable (its late and I have had a little to drink so as far as I'm concerned that is a real word :p).

I will be purchasing a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One in the next couple of weeks as this seems to be the one the is most recommended.

And as i have already stated I will wait for the next revision of the G5 iMac and Tiger before I purchase. I'm iin no rush as I have (and will keep) the Powerbook - I can wait.