Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
First off, loved the keynote (about to watch it for real now)...G5s are very impressive and I would love one (although I can't see buying a Tower w/o a Apple display and that is money I don't have)...however, having thought about it, we may not see iMac and Powerbook G5s for a bit. Why? Heat. Notice the Towers have 9 Fans? Notice that the front and the back are Mesh? I wonder how hot these machines can get...

Also I think iSight is really cool but will be useless for me if it's only iChat...unless I start talking to people on the forums.

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
It all depends, doesn't it? It looks like the G5 at lower speeds is not actually as power-hungry as one might be led to believe by the new Power "nine-fans" Mac.
I am being forced to decide on a new computer for college in the next week. If G5 Powerbooks are not available by then (which they probably won't be), then I will have to make the decision between power, expandability, and cutting edge hardware; and portability. So I have a lot of personal interest invested in this.

BlainKBanquier

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2002
Urbana, IL
As I understand it, there are 9 fans so that each can run at a *low speed* while being quiet overall. That doesn't make me think that the G5s need gobs and gobs of cooling--it's just a different cooling strategy. And it's very nice to see audio users' needs taken into account. Now what I/we really need is a powerbook that will run all the 64bit-optimized software that'll come this year...

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
The introduction of the G5 PowerBooks

The PowerBooks will be announced shortly and made available right after the new PMs (August). I can see why they wouldn´t´bother this time around - Steve like to give us little presents all year round!

And I agree with BlainKBanquier; it´s a matter of cooling strategy. Besides, the PowerBook might run at lower speeds.

Only time (and maybe MacRumors) will tell!

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Re: The introduction of the G5 PowerBooks

Originally posted by Belly-laughs
The PowerBooks will be announced shortly and made available right after the new PMs (August). I can see why they wouldn´t´bother this time around - Steve like to give us little presents all year round!

And I agree with BlainKBanquier; it´s a matter of cooling strategy. Besides, the PowerBook might run at lower speeds.

Only time (and maybe MacRumors) will tell!

wow, you seem sure that the G5 PowerBook will be announced soon. just last week i was saying stuff like that, like "the 970 PowerBook will be announced at WWDC." oh well, WWDC isn't over yet. i just hope that one of us can be right. :D

i agree about the cooling. i'm sure that Apple has a strategy for getting a G5 into a PowerBook.

loicl

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2002
france (orsay)
I think some fans can disappear if you bring some lighter version espcially for graphics portable version of graphics card have no fans and are suitable. remember that these machines seeks the more performance.

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Originally posted by BlainKBanquier
As I understand it, there are 9 fans so that each can run at a *low speed* while being quiet overall. That doesn't make me think that the G5s need gobs and gobs of cooling--it's just a different cooling strategy. And it's very nice to see audio users' needs taken into account. Now what I/we really need is a powerbook that will run all the 64bit-optimized software that'll come this year...

Yes, surprisingly while PC manufacturers are going with liquid cooling, Apple comes up with this.... Probably much more reliable in the long run...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.