Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2003
I just thought I'd mention that the original iMac is 5 years old today! Happy birthday, iMac!:) Look at this link for some analysis of the effects of the iMac: Link.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
The computer that saved Apple. I had an iMac G3 400 MHz until this February when I bought my Powermac G4. The iMac is still in the family, as I gave it to my dad, to replace his older iMac.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
They still sell everything from kitchen appliances to cell phones in "fruit" flavors, a phenomenon that began with the introduction of the iMac.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
"Haaaaappy birthday to you,
happy birthday to you,
happy biiiirthday, dear iMac,
happy birthday - TOOOO YOOOUUUUUU!!!"

and now in German:

"Zum Geburtstag viel Glueck,
zum Geburtstag viel Glueck,
zum Geburtstag, lieber iMac,
zum Geburtstag - Viel Glueck!!!"

what a joyful day, I wish I hadn't sold my tangerine iMac...

vSpacken

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Anybody made a birthday cake?
Any party?

Yeah, the iMac was also the introduction of the "i" -Age (i-Sotware, i-Hardware...)

I wonder if even iMac's Dad knew what kind of impact this day in 1998 would have made...

Congratulations iMac, and Steve!
You guys think Steve will get something from iMac on Father's Day? :D

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I've still got mine and it's still going strong. :p

It's a iMac DV, so I'm assuming mine's closer to 4 years old than the Bondi's 5.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i always kind of wanted one but we got a Power Mac G4 instead, after having a 5400 for wayyyyyy too long. i liked the lime green one, but had to settle for graphite ;-)

cheers, iMac!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A local store that uses empty iMacs (a real iMac case but without the electronics inside) as store decorations is moving to a new location in a couple of weeks. They are going to be selling the store's racks and shelves rather than ship them to the new store location. I wonder if they will sell me some of these gutless iMacs? It seems like it would be fun to have them, but I wonder what the heck I would actually DO with them??

CMillerERAU

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Sadly, my Rev. C (that was the first multi-colored ones, right?) died earlier this year from what I can best describe as a siezure (?). It was a great computer and died way before its time. However, i'm now enjoying my MDD PowerMac G4 dual 1Ghz, though it didn't turn heads nearly as much as when I got the iMac.

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Originally posted by Doctor Q
A local store that uses empty iMacs (a real iMac case but without the electronics inside) as store decorations is moving to a new location in a couple of weeks. They are going to be selling the store's racks and shelves rather than ship them to the new store location. I wonder if they will sell me some of these gutless iMacs? It seems like it would be fun to have them, but I wonder what the heck I would actually DO with them??

MacAquarium

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
My junior year in high school, we were struggling along with a PowerMac 6100/60, when a guy saw the trailer in our front yard (dad used to build trailers for a living) and wanted to buy it for $1600. He was going out of business though, and didn't have a lot of cash, so offered to take dad up to his shop and dad could take any tools he wanted.

Well, there weren't any tools dad wanted but then he saw a pair of indigo iMacs (400 MHz DV), both with everything but the original install disks and an Epson Stylus color 760 printer. Dad took one iMac and printer and $500 for the trailer. I was the happiest kid in the world. Two weeks later, some friends and I were doing a presentation for our US history class and decided to make a video. We had a blast doing it. 25 minutes on the 1910's. It was great.

Speaking of aquariums, I picked up an original Classic for $5 at a garage sale to turn into a fish tank. What fun!

MacMarino

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
My iMac

I bought a new iMac this year and I couldnt be more than hapy with it. I remember when the originals came out. I was living in the UK and while walking down the Regent and Oxford streets in London at one stage i saw boxes and boxes of iMacs being carried into stores amd shops. I thought wow!!! After 5 years I finally got one myself yippee:D :D :D

MacMarino

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by beez7777
MacAquarium
Thanks, beez! An empty iMac shell with an aquariam might be nice. I already have an empty LC II case that I found a good use for. It sits under my monitor to bring it to a better height off the desk.

donigian

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2003
Washington, DC, USA
The only Mac that I can use frequently in my house is a Rev. A Bondi. It is still keeping up and is so much better for typing papers than my Celeron eMachine.

Luckily, at school, I get to use 500 MHz Indigo iMacs w/Jaguar. OS X seems infinitely better than OS 9 in a multi-user environment like school is. Since I'm an HS Tech I get to help with the set-up and maintenance of the comps at school and OS X is just so much easy because people can finally change their personal settings, for one thing.

But, back on topic, Happy Birthday iMac. You're still going strong in my house.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Happy B'day, I'm an imac fan and always will be . I've owned 2 since they've come out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.