iMacs, cams and mics, Oh my !

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by KevKaos, Sep 26, 2006.

1. KevKaos macrumors 6502

I am a mac user wannabe. I am a PC user right now, and hope to switch to an iMac 20 within the next 6-9 months.

I know that iMacs have a built in camera, and I assume that they have a built in mic as well? The reason I ask is because I do a fair amount of video conferencing with my kids 600 miles away. I am using a Logitech Quickcam Fusion which I love. It has a built in mic that seems to work very well and the cam does something like 1.3 megapixels so it is very clear. I know it will work on a Mac, because the software to do so is on the disc that came with it. Does anyone know if i am likely to run into any conflicts trying to use the Fusion? I guess I am just not clear on how the system will know what cam and mic I want to use. Maybe whatever chat software I am using at the time will see both and ask which I want to use?

Sorry for asking such a noob question, but I've never had a computer with more than one cam before.

2. mooncaine macrumors regular

Just give the camera and mic on the iMac a try before you decide. You'll probably love it. I was really surprised at how great the images are that come from the tiny camera built-in to my MacBook Pro.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

in iChat or whatever program you're using you should be able to select the input device of your choosing with no problem. and the iMacs do have an internal built-in mic as well. :D

4. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure I will use it, at least at first. My Logitech has face tracking that seems to work pretty good which is nice if you move around a bit. I did, or do wonder about the image quality from such a small lens. The Fusion lens is small, but the one on the Mac looks really tiny. Guess I will just have to wait and see. I did get the answer I was looking for though.

The funny thing is that I now have two of these Fusions. The one I sent to my kids went belly up so Mom bought them a replacement and sent the broken on back to me. I called Logitech and they sent me a brand new one. I only mention that because I was impressed that a company like Logitech really does stand by their warranty.