iMacs, eMacs Refurbished on "Special Deals"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dukemeiser, Mar 28, 2004.

1. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

On Apple's Special Deals page now lists iMacs and eMacs as refurbished...in every model. All three models of iMacs are on the refurbished list and both models of eMacs. I know just a few days ago, the new eMacs were not there, only a modem-less model. I find it strange that all of the current models now show up as refurbished. I think something is coming. Could they be trying to clear out inventory faster? The refurbished models are exactly the same as the new models only a lot cheaper. :confused:

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

There were a buttload of refurbished PB's and iBooks there last week and everybody thought it meant something. Obviously, nothing panned out of it and now there are basically none left there.

BEN

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Yep. Lots of "signs" this year leading to nothing.

Now it looks pretty certain that WWDC will be a big event for new hardware with the memory deal being extended until just prior to it. I am expecting no new hardware until then where I expect Steve to show it off...

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

If there's nothing until June, WWDC better have massive, across the board updates.

5. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

They will surely update some hardware before WWDC. This dry spell has got to be hurting their revenues. I'd buy a new eMac tomorrow if they came out. But I'm not buying one until they're updated.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am not so sure.

Can you really beleive Steve won't want to get up there and make a big deal about new form factor iMacs, G5PBs, 3Ghz G5PMs...

7. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

That's assuming that G5 forms are going to be the next update. I think G4s will still carry on in the next update. After that, it might be G5. Apple can hold an event whenever they want. Just like when they held their own event to unveil iTMS and 3G iPods.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Are all these updates likely to come at once though? It seems like it is asking alot to get that many updates in one sitting. Maybe I am just getting used to NOTHING being released, and will consider any update as a small miracle.

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

in some ways I would trust an apple refurb. more than new. refurbs get checked out when they are new like all macs but get checked again before resale. I doubt there are many lemon refurbs.

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Nothing is for certain.

My reasoning is I can't see Steve releasing any new form factor hardware without getting up on stage to do it. iMac and PB should get that this year at least. He might release some straight away, and show other bits and tell us the release date, a theme that has appeared the short time I have been looking at getting a Mac.

11. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Sure. How much time did they provide to the public/press about the unveiling. Did the rumour board light up for a week or two with the news of some mysterious announcement?

12. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i haven't been around too long, but i've realized that product updates NEVER occur when you want them to. so, we should clear our minds of all things relating to 30" displays, 3GHz powermacs, and g5 powerbooks, until one day, out of the blue, when checking macrumors.com it's there. it's much more exciting without rumors. but i never listen to the hardware release rumors because they are never right. macrumors is more macnews and a forum to me ;)

reality

13. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it means nothing:

I had been looking to buy a refurb eMac (which I've done - current ComboDrive - $649) and I monitored that area. The iMacs and eMacs came on and off because people were buying them. Later, more were available. Then people bought them and so on.

14. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

I found it odd that all of the models would be refurbished at once. As opposed to one or two models. Besides, rumors are so scarce these days, I've got to speculate on something to pass the time. :D