Imacs for work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by staka69, Oct 9, 2006.

1. staka69 macrumors member

May 21, 2005
    Quick question, I do voice over work and my company is looking to replace 3 pcs we currently use to produce the daily voiceover work.

We currently have 3 P4's with Windows XP, but I'm trying to get them to get us 3 iMacs.

Here is my question: we are currently using xp as an OS and have an external sound cards (2 pc's have an M-Audio delta and 1 has a creative).

If we got 3 imacs what kind of professional sound card options do I have, it would need to be usb since iMac don't have pci slots.

What about software?

2. Mr. DG macrumors regular

Mr. DG

Jan 16, 2006
    M-audio Firewire Audiophile; or Firewire 410 if you need balanced mic inputs. both have intel drivers ready.

or, Focusrite Saffire - has on board DSP.

There are plenty more, but those are the ones I have experience with.
  3. Mr. DG macrumors regular

Mr. DG

Jan 16, 2006
    Software - go for the free Audacity or Peak if you want to pay. You could always plump for Logic Express or Ableton Live if you need to be a bit more creative post-recording.

There are loads of pro solutions for audio recording on OSX - go to for a very useful forum.
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    Generally you're going to better off with a F/W interface than USB 2.0

Just keep in mind that F/W interfaces should ALWAYS be connected or disconnected with your computer off.

Your choice in interfaces also depends on your preferred DAW software.