iMacs.price = iMacs.price + $100 (?)

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by allday, Mar 21, 2002.

1. allday macrumors newbie

I was checking out Apple's site after hearing of MW Tokoyo news and found something I hadn't seen before. When did Apple increase the price of all their iMacs by $100? I find myself looking at a bunch of Apple hardware that I can't afford right now all the time, but I don't remember seeing this. Anyone know Apple's reason for doing this?

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Memory prices are up over 200% since Christmas, and LCD prices are up 25% since January. They had to raise the price to stay profitable.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Apple's gotten a lot of flak about this. But when it comes down to it, Apple had to do something. So Apple would rather sacrifice a few customers than sacrifice themselves... and I agree with that!

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

the $100 increase on iMacs was part of Tokyo's offerings...

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Disappearing threads...

Where did that other thread go on this topic. I tried to view it and then it was just gone.

Arn? Where did it go?

Matthew

6. Bobd macrumors member

The funny thing is, when components prices go down, computers don't...

7. Ash macrumors newbie

or, you could put it more simply:

iMacs.price += 100;

</pointless message>

- ash

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Yeah, hehehe, that was the big surprice for US, way to go Apple.

Next time they are gonna introduce Bill Gates as the new chair man:D .

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: Disappearing threads...

Yo know, Arn likes to delete stuff here and there. He has that "Bermuda's Triangle" complex with the thing we say here.

My be your thread pop-up in Macrumors Tokio (at the other side of the world).

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

When...

Jobs said the prices of LCDs and memory is getting very high. Apple had to raise the prices, in order to make money...i guess.

11. CHess macrumors regular

affecting demand?

One of my co-workers has been eyeing the new iMac for some time now and the $100 price increase doesn't seem to have put a damper on his enthusiasm. He's definitely a price conscious person (has a family and mortgage to think about), but he definitely feels that the new iMacs, especially the high-end machines with their Superdrives, are still well worth the price.

This is actually a really good sign as prior to the new iMac's release, he was an old-time Mac user who was talking about probably switching to a PC as his next purchase.

True, it's never good to see price hikes, but considering the LCD shortages and the rising RAM prices, I think the public will be accepting. I wonder if other companies (PC manufacturers) will follow suit? In any case, I think the new iMac's form factor and capabilities still generate enough enthusiasm to counter the hike.

12. Bobd macrumors member

Re: affecting demand?

But that's exactly what the problem is !!! It's because they know there is this hype going on that they're raising the price. It's because they know that they have a bunch of fanatic Macheads that won't care, or even finding them excuses, who are going to take their word for it. I don't think any PC company is going to follow them, just because they have concurrence to fight against and can't allow themselves to fool with their customers and make they feel like sheeps.

13. CHess macrumors regular

The fact of the matter is that RAM prices HAVE gone up. There IS a documented shortage of LCDs. Regardless of what you or I think of him, this is not something that Steve Jobs made up.

As for using iMac hype because Macheads will follow anyway??? :rolleyes: I don't buy it. A lot of enthusiasm for the new machine is being seen outside the traditional Mac community. Also, the friend I was referring to was planning on switching to a PC because the school where his wife teaches switched to PCs, but the price/performance on the new iMac, even with the price hike, puts the Mac back in the running - he's buying one later this year.

You may be right about PC manufacturers not messing with prices. Their sales are down, aren't they? And how are Apple sales now? I think they're pretty strong, but they'll only stay that way if Apple actually starts shipping the new machines to the retailers.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm wondering if the big delay in shipments on the iMacs is because Apple has been trying to swing deals with suppliers to keep costs down. My guess is that they failed and were forced to up the prices.

14. Tagada macrumors newbie

It's $100 in the US but $200 elsewhere

Because Apple want's to prevent currency variations, and when adding sale taxes mostly around 20% around the world, this translates to a HUGE $200 increase. Knowing that 50% of sales are done outside the US, this is not going to help...

:( :(

15. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Re: Disappearing threads...

:)

refer to:

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=3185

arn

16. keithcobbett macrumors member

All I can say is that I'm glad I bought my iMac last week. Paid $130 for 512MB of memory too. I ain't complaining.

17. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

No, no, no, no, no!!!
    Bob, I don't know anything about you, but that is NOT the point. The point is that, in buisness, when cost of production goes up, and demand is high, then prices must in turn go up. It is not a difficult economic theory to understand, and you better bet that Dell, Gateway, Compaq, and HP will follow! Again as I stated in another thread on Thursday, go to those companys and price out an equally configured system, and you will find that the iMac (even with the 100$ increase) is still competitive!

The real problem is people always complaining that Apple should do more to gain market share, and be a more successful company. Well, this is one of those moves that companies sometimes have to make to say in buisness! Look, it isn't a big deal, it is 100$. If 100$ on a computer that costs 1799 is that big of a deal, then you shouldn't but the thing to begin with!!! Apple servers there niche in the marketplace and the PC makers server theirs. Hopefully as more and more time goes by PC Users will WAKE UP and realize that they can do better than a beige box (or black in the case of Dell).

Oh, and one other thing, yes when costs go down, prices do. How about the iBook (clamshell) getting bigger HD, more Ram, and price going down. Same thing on each revision of the old iMacs. Remember they started at 1299 for the old bondi, and then wound up being 799 for the Indigo! Also the Cube, G4, all of the flat pannels, as the 22 used to be well over 3 grand. Also, in 98 a 500 MHZ PC was about 2300 bucks, but now a 2 Gig P4 can be had for the same price! Get the facts straight please. The two things in our society that have increase in cost the most over the last 20 years are cars, and bread, yes bread. That is not $ amount, but % of increase.

18. eric_n_dfw macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

and lettuce

19. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

20. Bobd macrumors member

Prices drop

Well, of course prices do go down afetr a while. Nobody would expect to buy a 1st generation iMac 1800 $ today... But prices go down when a model has been around a long time (whatever long means when it comes to computers...), or when the new model is about to be announced. What I'm saying is, the price of computers do not change every time components prices do : we would have to be careful on which day we buy our computer, then, if we had to follow the ups and downs of RAM... I totally agree with AmbitiousLemon on some other post who states that the iMac is the only computer whise price has changed, while PMG4 and PC's use LCDs and RAM too...

21. Jookbox macrumors 6502

yeah the $100 price increase was the big surprise under that black curtain :D