Image Burn

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by furryrabidbunny, Nov 13, 2006.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Somehow I have image burn on my iMac display... would this be covered under applecare?

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Which iMac? If it's a LCD display, the burn in should only be temporally. When I first saw this after I moved a static window I got scared, but it goes away after a little while. If it's a CRT iMac G3, then it probably out of warranty to begin with. Even if it was still in warranty, I don't think a burn in is something covered under warranties. :)

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I did that to my Acer notebook once. AppleCare will cover it as long as you weren't doing something that wasn't a good idea, such as turning off screen saver and setting the display to never sleep. For example, if it froze in the middle of a task and the sleep function failed, burning an image into the LCD, its plausable they'd cover it.

Good luck.

4. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

It happen on my iMac listed in my sig. The image is of my wallpaper... i have the settings to put the display to sleep and everything. It is very noticable.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Yea I guess it would depend on the circumstances that led to the image burn (didn't think about that). If the burn in has been there for some time, calling AppleCare might not be a bad idea. Hope you get it resolved. :)

6. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Well I was working on my computer today... it was an extended period... but it wasn't like it was 24 hrs straight. I also have my display to sleep after thirty minutes of inactivity.

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Then you have grounds to get in touch with Apple. Do it soon though, I would as soon as they open tomorow. Its likely you'll be covered because its a new machine and it was through no fault of your own.

8. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

How long does it normally take for LCDs to have screen burn in? The strange thing about it is it is only on certain areas of the screen... like my dock for example is not burnt in... only areas that were only occupied by my wallpaper.

9. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Did an applecare chat...

They told me to bring it in for repairs and that it would indeed be covered.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

11. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

In my experience; hours, days. Great to hear your covered!!

12. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

This is odd...

I turned on my computer today to see that the "image burn" disappeared... but then it comes back and goes away and so on... does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

read gr8tfly's post. Change your desktop background image on a regular basis.

14. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I still think you should have it looked at. I change the desktop every couple months on my iMac, and I've never seen an image burn. Its better to have the problem assesed before they can claim you didn't bring it in soon enough.

15. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I think heat plays a part in this also, recently i've noticed slight burnt in images after some long video encoding, as my G5 gets quite hot after a few hours at 100% cpu usage.

Yet I often have a static images on the screen for long periods when the system is not doing anyting that would make it extra hot and no burn in happens.

Either way it dissapears after a while and has never been too noticable.