Image complete Mac HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fall3n, Oct 14, 2006.

1. fall3n macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2006
    I want to completely image my whole Macintosh HD partition and be able to restore it with ease should I ever want/need to. How do I go about making the image and restoring it?

I'm assuming I use Disk Utility to do both? Does anyone have a tutorial on how to do this?

My main reason for doing this right now is so that I can repartition my drive so that I can use bootcamp, so instead of having to reinstall everything again, I'd rather just image the drive and restore it when I have a single partition.
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You assume wrong. Disk Utilities is straightforward. You don't need a tutor. Launch it and try. However, you will need an external drive. However, you may be better served using Carbon Copy Cloner. It is a utility specially designed for this purpose. A simple Google search should find it for you.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    SuperDuper is as good or better, and has scheduling options if you pay the nominal fee.

Both are excellent apps. Both work.
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    All of those options will only work on one partition though, so if you want to get rid of Boot Camp, you'll have to get rid of that second partition.
  5. fall3n thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 17, 2006
    What do you mean by this?