Image Copyright

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by, Feb 3, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2011

I am using images in my iPhone App that I purchased from Dreamstime. I was wondering if there any issues with their licensing(such as use in iPhone Apps)? I know that iStockPhoto requires an extended license for more than 500,000 sold copies.

Any information regarding their licensing is appreciated.

2. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    I've purchased Dreamstime images and used them within the license terms for promotional materials for a non-profit group and in a small web-based app.

Their general rule is that you are limited to 500,000 uses of the image on printed materials but not limited in that way for use on a website or in an app. However, your use of the image in an app may be limited to a width of 800 pixels. The exception is confusing -- when the image is "part of a design" -- so if you want to use the image at a higher resolution then I suggest that you ask Dreamstime about that particular use of that particular image and they'll provide clarification.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Okay, I found this on their FAQ:

So, I am assuming that this includes iPhone Apps. Any other info is appreciated.

4. macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2009
    The answer is right there:
    ... if you have any uncertainty regarding the use of the images in a correct way please email support using the help form.​

No one here can give you a definitive answer about that vendor's licensing. You need to ask the vendor directly.