Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I'm getting a free ruby iMac G3 tonight. I'm not sure exactly which model it is but I'm almost positive it will be running OS 9. What I want to use it for is just to print out photos. My wife will use it to crop, remove red eye, and print. That's about it. I was wondering if there are any decent (free) programs that would suite my needs. Gimp was my first thought but it only runs on OS X.

Also, I will be networking the iMac with an intel Mini. I won't be sharing internet I just want to run 1 cable to share files. Can I use a regular ethernet cable or will I need a crossover cable?

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I think Graphic Convertor supports OS9.

Your Mac Mini has an auto-sensing port so you can just use regular ethernet cable.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
robbieduncan said:
I think Graphic Convertor supports OS9.

Your Mac Mini has an auto-sensing port so you can just use regular ethernet cable.

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight. I've never used Graphic Converter. Is it an easy program to use? My wife will be using it and I would prefer it be something pretty simple.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
While GraphicConverter is a nice app, it is neither free or inexpensive as an image editing solution for Mac OS 9. I would suggest either of the following...Corel Graphics 8 LE comes with Corel PHOTO-PAINT 8 LE and CorelDRAW 8 LE, and you may as well grab Corel WordPerfect 3.5a (also free, update is here) while you are at it.

As for Photoshop Elements 1.0, I was surprised at how close to Photoshop 6.0 it was in features (I bought a copy of this for a client a couple months ago). And while Photoshop Elements is not free, it is less expensive than GraphicConverter ($30.00) and still does far more.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
bowens said:
Do you know if this program uses layers?
Corel PHOTO-PAINT does have layers, but it calls them "objects" rather than "layers". Seems to work pretty much the same as in Photoshop from what I can tell.

I use either Photoshop 5.5 or 6 in Mac OS 8/9, so I don't have a lot of experience with the Corel apps. Attached is a screen shot of an image with two layers... original on top and an inverted version below, where I've erased part of the top layer.

Attachments

• corelphotopaint.jpg
    corelphotopaint.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 110

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I tried installing CorelGraphics last night and got an error code -34. I have redownloaded it and also downloaded a newer version of Stuffit. I will try to reinstall tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.