Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
I use Windows on a PC at work, but thought I would post here because you’re quite a helpful bunch.

I need some basic software which allows me to edit (add text, change quality, nothing major) and convert images and pdf files. My immediate thought was Photoshop but to buy that and pdf software would be expensive. Is there anything that can do both? If not, are there cheap but reliable options other than Photoshop and Acrobat?

because you’re quite a helpful bunch.

Trying to buy your way are you??

Well before considering photoshop i would see first for element or paintshop pro both available for a much smaller part of the price of cs2.
You could aso give a try to glimp, that is free.
All of those are enough for the task described.

ho and you can look at xnview, appart from obvious viewer it can also do a bit of adding text and resizing....

Creation of pdf... i guess you can give a try to OO (Open office) where you can easily export as pdf . i find it up to the task for my little tasks but it might be too light for professional use... or maybe not

when do you get a Mac?

bozigle

sionharris

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Trying to buy your way are you??

Well before considering photoshop i would see first for element or paintshop pro both available for a much smaller part of the price of cs2.
You could aso give a try to glimp, that is free.
All of those are enough for the task described.

ho and you can look at xnview, appart from obvious viewer it can also do a bit of adding text and resizing....

Creation of pdf... i guess you can give a try to OO (Open office) where you can easily export as pdf . i find it up to the task for my little tasks but it might be too light for professional use... or maybe not

when do you get a Mac?

bozigle

I have a Mac at home and have been using them for the last 15 years, however even though I work in CAD I have to use Windows at work.

I have OpenOffice at home but it seems a little unstable so I am reluctant to install it since I already have MS Office Suite 2002. Ideally I'd like to be able to convert pdf files into jpegs but I assume I will need expensive software for that. Any suggestions?

I'll give GIMP and Irfanview a spin and see how I get on.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
os x can create pdf natively right? from any document - file/print then save as pdf (or something like that)

as for manipulating images - iphoto?

also gimp (photoshop alternative) or another great lighweight and simple (and free) app is seashore (look it up on versiontracker.com)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.