Image Editor for Intel Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2004
    San Francisco
    I just got a totally maxed-out 17" MacBook Pro. I am exceptionally pleased with performanceon almost everything, except those behemoth Adobe applications — in particular Photoshop. Even Photoshop Elements 4 loads and runs slower. Is there an alternative, Universal Binary image-editing application to use in the interim? Yes, iPhoto's tools are too limited, and iView Media's set is good, but I like the flexibility of something like Photoshop.
  2. LastLine macrumors 65816

Aug 24, 2005
    Good question. Anyone know if Gimp's universal?

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Gimp does have a Universal (or at least Intel) version available. For me, Photoshop is fast enough on an Intel Mac, but I can see how it would be too slow if you were doing anything really heavy duty with it.
  4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    How about the universal version of Seashore? I don't know if it's advanced enough for your needs, but it's pretty good.
  5. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
  6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
  7. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Apr 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm pretty sure GIMPShop is a UB. I think it still needs X11, but it's the GIMP made to look/act more like Photoshop.
  8. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2004
    San Francisco
    GC is's been a mainstay in my toolkit for years. However, it still doesn't have the power of even Photoshop Elements. I usually set Elements to be the editor for iPhoto, and resort to full PS for heavy lifting. I'm not convinced GC can step in for Elements.

I was hoping there was a good third-party app we could support. Adobe has been giving us the short end of the stick for too long now. The dismal performance of their apps under Rosetta is almost too much for me.

Between the two 800-lb gorillas, I fully expected to spend most of my time waiting on Microsoft Office. But on my machine, Office's quite impressive.