Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4Grover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Hey guys - I am having a problem copying files from my compact flash card to my Powerbook. What happens is, I take the CF card from my camera and transfer the files over to my powerbook via a Dazzle CF card reader. The result is, all images are corrupt and I can only view the top 5% of the image.

I take the same cards and reader over to my wifes Dell laptop and copy the files over and they are fine. No corruption.

I couldn't find anything that would indicate the Dazzle CF reader wouldn't be compatable with my Mac. No drivers to DL from the manufactors website. It should be plug and play.

To further complicate things, I can copy files from my D70 directly to the Powerbook (no CF reader) and the files come out fine.

So I am at a loss for next troubleshooting steps. Anyone?

edit: I should add this is a Al G4 1.33 15" Powerbook with 10.4 running.

Thanks!
Jason

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
that is odd.

i have about the same setup. i have a dazzle cf reader and 12". tiger or pather hasn't had any problems. i don't know which dazzle card reader you have though. have you tried both usb ports with the same result? I think you have

also have you tried it from terminal? my sense of it is a bug with drivers.

the first comment "ls /Volumes/" tell you the name of the CF card which is the same name that appears on the desktop icon. "mkdir temp" makes a temp folder in your home directory. the last command copies everything over.

Code:
Last login: Tue May 31 00:03:18 on ttyp4
Welcome to Darwin!
superbovine:cow ~ $ ls /Volumes
BovineHD    TOSHIBA128M
superbovine:cow ~ $ mkdir temp
superbovine:cow ~ $ cp -R /Volumes/TOSHIBA128M/* ~/temp/
superbovine:cow ~ $

then checkout the photos in finder in your home directory.

G4Grover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Thanks - I will try that this evening.

Another issue that came up that I haven't tried to diagnose any further is, I tried to save a PDF file from the web then open it and got an error that the PDF was corrupt.

This same file opened with out fail on my wife Dell.

I could be erronously correlating two unrelated events, just seems odd. I've never had a trouble opening PDF's.

G4Grover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
superbovine said:
that is odd.

i have about the same setup. i have a dazzle cf reader and 12". tiger or pather hasn't had any problems. i don't know which dazzle card reader you have though. have you tried both usb ports with the same result? I think you have

also have you tried it from terminal? my sense of it is a bug with drivers...

Thanks for the suggestion, but doing it via terminal yields the same results. Both USB ports as well.

I have the High Speed USB card reader (dark grey base and body, light grey edge entry side).

The manufactors website says it's OSX compatible without any drivers needed.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a CF card reader that works flawlessly with Mac's and PC's?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
i'd say you found a bug in the driver software for that particular reader, unless you can confirm that reader works on another mac. have you tried another CF card? also you can open console in the utility folder for the mac.

i'd email dazzle support and see what is up.

G4Grover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
superbovine said:
i'd say you found a bug in the driver software for that particular reader, unless you can confirm that reader works on another mac. have you tried another CF card? also you can open console in the utility folder for the mac.

i'd email dazzle support and see what is up.

I've tried two CF cards, each from a different brand camera (one from Nikon, one from Canon).

I only have one Mac for now, so I haven't tried this reader with another Mac.

Let me see if I can dig up a support email address for Dazzle.

Thanks again,
Jason

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
G4Grover said:
I've tried two CF cards, each from a different brand camera (one from Nikon, one from Canon).

I only have one Mac for now, so I haven't tried this reader with another Mac.

Let me see if I can dig up a support email address for Dazzle.

Thanks again,
Jason

sorry i could help more. my guess is your driver for the dazzle card is corrupted, there is a bug that dazzle knows about, or your mac has gremlins.

G4Grover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
superbovine said:
sorry i could help more. my guess is your driver for the dazzle card is corrupted, there is a bug that dazzle knows about, or your mac has gremlins.

Thanks for trying! :cool:

I've got a mail off to them.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
out of mild curiousity ... download another pdf or something and save it...

does it do it to every pdf?

how about images... save an image from the web to your desktop.. does it corrupt itself?

i'm saying this because it COULD be your install of Tiger/Panther. OR it could be spotlight corrupting files when they're saved (you know.. when a file is saved spotlight is triggered to index the file)...

if you see what i'm saying...

G4Grover

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
DXoverDY said:
out of mild curiousity ... download another pdf or something and save it...

does it do it to every pdf?

how about images... save an image from the web to your desktop.. does it corrupt itself?

i'm saying this because it COULD be your install of Tiger/Panther. OR it could be spotlight corrupting files when they're saved (you know.. when a file is saved spotlight is triggered to index the file)...

if you see what i'm saying...

Ok... DL'd a different PDF and opened without issue.
DL'd a couple of different images and no problem.

I'm pretty convinced it's the driver for the Dazzle USB card reader at this point.

Thanks again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.