Image management?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eric Sadoyama, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Eric Sadoyama macrumors newbie

Is there a freeware OS X image viewer program out there that's fast and also does basic file management (renaming, copying, moving, deleting)? Basic image editing (resizing and cropping) would also be nice but not essential.

I'm a veteran PC user who recently got my first Mac. I'm accustomed to ACDSee for Windows on my PC, which let me do what I just described -- rename, copy, move, and delete images as I browsed through them -- with almost no delays.

By contrast, I have been using the Finder and Preview to browse through my images, and it's a chore. Finder is quick and is great for file management, but its image thumbnails aren't big enough to be useful. Preview is gorgeous, but it doesn't allow me to do file management on the files I'm previewing, and it's slow to boot.

Surely there's a better way that I have missed. Help?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

iPhoto?

3. Eric Sadoyama thread starter macrumors newbie

I am leery of iPhoto, because I'm afraid that if I use it, it'll mess up the image storage scheme that I am currently using. I have all my photos on a remote shared drive -- not local to the Mac. When I tried iPhoto, it copied all my stuff onto the local drive, which is not what I wanted.

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

There is an option in iPhoto to stop it doing that, so that you can keep your own file structure.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

In iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced, you can turn off "Importing: Copy Files to iPhoto Library folder when adding to library.

With that turned off, the only thing iPhoto will do on import, is create thumbnails in its library.

6. Eric Sadoyama thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip about the advanced preferences. That helps.

However, it doesn't help my other concern, which is with the iPhoto file structure. After reading a few discussions about it, I understand the basic intent of why iPhoto does what it does. The problem is, not only do I have an established file structure that I like just fine, but the photo collection is also shared by other family members, on Windows PCs. I don't want to make everyone else change their ways just because I switched OSes.

And on top of everything... I just did a test and imported all my 2002 photos into iPhoto. The damned beachball is still spinning. :mad:

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The option that gr8tfly described means that iPhoto does not change your file structure, it keeps all your image files exactly where they are.

8. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Although it's not exactly freeware, you might want to check out Image Browser. It's fast, it supports multiple browser windows, it can handle all of the chores on your wish list with the exception that it doesn't have built-in image editing. (it will launch your image editor of choice (Preview, for example) and load the current image you are viewing in Image Browser, ready for editing.

FWIW, you can scale the size of image thumbnails in Finder windows by selecting show view options from the view menu then drag the icon size slider until they are as big as you can stand 'em. Also, you might want to check "this window only," otherwise you'll end up with gigantic icons in all of your finder windows