Image of Redesigned Apple USB Power Adapter Surfaces [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 23, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A new image said to be of a redesigned Apple USB power adapter has been shared by a user on Weibo (Google Translate, via Gizmobic), hinting that Apple's supposed new Lightning cable may be released alongside a new charger. The power adapter appears to be more rounded compared to Apple's current offering, and also includes grooves on each side to improve comfort while holding and inserting the accessory.

[​IMG]
    While it is possible that the product in the image could be of a fake, the charger does have the signature "Designed by Apple in California" text along with other applicable information and logos. The user also shows another image of the new Lightning cable with its reversible USB connector, which has been spotted in a number of other photos and even a video throughout the past few weeks.

If both new products turn out to be real, it is possible that Apple could ship a new Lightning cable and new USB power adapter alongside this fall's expected lineup of new iOS devices, possibly starting with the iPhone 6 next month.

Update: As pointed out by a user in our forums, the USB adapter shown in the images carries the same design as Apple's current 5W USB Power Adapter sold in Australia. However, the prongs on the new adapter in the photo are of Type A used in the United States and many other countries, perhaps indicating that the design could be soon applied to Apple's other power adapters in different countries.

Article Link: Image of Redesigned Apple USB Power Adapter Surfaces [Updated]

2. macrumors 6502

Next big thing.

3. macrumors 6502

sputnikv

I wonder if samsung will rip this off as well.

4. macrumors 603

troop231

Because it was so hard to unplug before and hurt everyone. :p

5. macrumors 6502a

nylon

What would become of the world if we didn't know about this before it happened. :eek:

6. macrumors regular

I'm surprised Apple would go bigger. It does look more comfortable to use ^__^

7. macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

American contacts, i guess they will come the Europe after that. (If it is real).

8. macrumors 604

bushido

meh prefer the slim one. hope it stays that way in europe

9. macrumors 6502a

Ooh. Looks legit. It's got the specs, legal info, and "white dot" plastic wrap that indicates where to unwrap it. Maybe these will be skinnier, to prevent blocking of power strip plugs?

10. macrumors newbie

Ergonomics with those soft rounded grooves.

11. macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

If it's wider and thinner, I'm up for it. Though I wonder how man QC issues will arise with a new brick.

On an un-related note, does anyone know what the significance of the green dot on the current adapters? That's one of those curiosity-killed-the-cat things with me right now.

They already have an adapter of similar shape. :p

12. macrumors 6502

Perhaps it has more powerful internals to go along with USB 3.0 connection? Or is this wishful thinking?

13. macrumors 603

nfl46

Damn. Apple is redesigning, well, making modifications to all the iPhone's hardware. Looking good so far! I wish they could include black or white headphones to match the choice of iPhone you get.

14. macrumors 603

troop231

What's the wattage of it? (Most important thing)

15. macrumors 6502a

Not that it ruins my life, but yea sometimes! Especially if it's a tight plug or behind a dresser or something. I've probably tenderized a few fingers over the years.

Like improving the AppleCare hold music, or cleaning the layout of a MacBook box, it's the little things that make Apple, Apple!

16. alireza76, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

macrumors newbie

Current Australian chargers look like this!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408831135.751510.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408831153.171052.jpg

17. macrumors 6502

Dilster3k

Someone needs to cut their nails. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors newbie

Wow, Eddy Cue was right. This IS the most exciting pipeline I've ever seen.

19. macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

It's wider... they should have 2 USB ports.

20. macrumors regular

This is good stuff. The current plug could definitely be narrower, in order to take up less space on a power strip. The square plug also feels somewhat dated.

21. macrumors regular

tigertazz

You are on the wrong site buddy :rolleyes:

22. macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

when they launched that adapter with the 3G they had an issue with prongs pulling out. The green dot was added to signify an updated adapter.

https://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter/exchangeprogram/

23. diddl14, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

macrumors 6502a

diddl14

Looks like a step back from the current (EU) one...
    (than again, an iPhone6 might need more power to rapidly charge, thus require a larger adapter)

[​IMG]

24. macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Green dot represents v2.0 of the adapter. Product looks exactly the same on the exterior so they needed a way to show it. Small enough to not be too eye-popping but different enough to notice it.

Can't recall what the issue was before.

25. macrumors regular

Just where do they think we're putting this accessory? :D:D:D:D