Image transfers best practice ??

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Bern, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I can't find any definitive information pertaining to this question.

I have some images I want to install onto my iPod. Now the original size of each is about 20mb, 3032x2028, .tiff format on average. What I have done (using PS) is reduced each to jpeg, reduced to around 2mb but they are still around the same dimension. I thought it a good idea to make them loose a bit of weight (aka 20mb down to 2mb).

I have now made a new album in iPhoto and transferred the jpegs there ready to copy over to my iPod using iTunes.

My questions are;

1. Did I need to do all that? Say I left them in their original size and format, when I copied them over to my iPod would they have been resized in any event thus reducing the dimensions and mb size or would they remain a hefty 20mb each?

2. Also having reduced them from 20mb to 2mb do I need to change the dimensions as well (3032x2028 to something smaller) or is that taken care of during transfer via iTunes?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

iTunes handles it all for you. You basically didn't need to do those extra steps :)

3. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

So that's what confuses me. If I have an image that is 20mb, dimensions 3038x2022 you're suggesting that between downloading it from iPhoto (via iTunes) to my iPod it gets edited in size without me doing anything? Does that mean though that the image will still remain 20mb?

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

iTunes formats the image so that it fits on your iPod's screen, and it creates a format of the image that is formatted for TV output. It won't be 20MB, but I don't know the file size and compression iTunes uses. You can enable an option to leave the full resolution image on your iPod, which would be the 20MB image, but that's really only useful if you want to transfer the full resolution image to another computer.

5. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

6. Kace macrumors regular

slightly off topic. obviously itunes does it all for you, but if you need to reduce size of picture(s) quickly then,

- put em in 1 folder
    - use automator, works like a charm

for generating tumbnails, specific res images, etc. kinda like photoshop but better...

7. Bern thread starter macrumors 68000

Bern

Just wanted to mention I transferred 9 images (they're actually digital drawings I have done and saved in .tif format), each were a little over 20mb. Initially I had 20.5 GB free space available then after transferring the 9 images it dropped to 20.4GB of free space. So obviously the resizing that iTunes performs is adequate. (in fact it's probably better as I had anticipated resizing them to 2mb each).