image vs. physical disk

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nbs2, Jan 19, 2005.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Before somebody gets upset with me, if this thread is a little too iffy for comfort, feel free to wasteland it. :eek:

I was wondering if there is a way to edit my foriegn language study program so that I can run it off of a disk image rather than the disk itself. MY curiosity is due to a couple things. First, I've heard it isn't so good for the PB to have a disk in it while travelling. Second, my iPod has made me lazy and I don't like carrying CDs. Third, running the CD during the program = hot PB = unhappy me, although it isn't so bad these days with the cold weather an all. Anyway, if anybody knows a workaround for getting a mounted disk to pretend to be in the CD drive, I'd appreciate it.

Now that somebody (read moderators or anybody like edesignuk who may wish comic images upon me) may be bothered, feel free to wasteland. I'm not trying to hack the CD, just trying to be lazy. Please don't ban me. :(

2. Bear macrumors G3

Some programs you can't do that with and some you can.

What you need to do is use Disk Utility and make a disk image of type DVD/CD Master.

And then have the image mounted mounted when you start the program. And then hope that this program isn't too smart for its own good.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Here is an example of doing that with the WarCraftIII disk.

If you own the software, and you're doing this to avoid spinning your optical, I see no ethical issue at all of the software will allow it. It might or might not be a technical violation, but I doubt it. You own the software, you're not handing it out, you're just avoiding using a CD every time.

As mentioned above, not all software will allow this. Good luck!