Imaging an iPad for rental

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hondaboy945, Sep 29, 2010.

1. macrumors member

My company purchased 20 iPads for renting to clients at expo events and meetings. We do full-service tradeshow IT support. A few clients want to use the iPads for registration and we have a custom app for it. What we want to do is take the 20+ iPads and plug them into our network for pushing a fresh image to the device. Does anyone know how we should go about it, or is there a current solution? Or should we develop it?

2. macrumors 65816

Couldn't you setup the iPad as required then perform a backup to iTunes and then revert to that backup after each rental period is complete?

3. macrumors 68040

I think what you're talking about is Network push to allow all ipads to get updated automatically. You currently cannot do that, as far as I know.

4. macrumors 68040

maturola

There is an enterprise program to "push" application, but I don't think you can push updates.

5. macrumors 6502a

It would probably be useful to read Fraser Speirs' blog. He is a teacher rolling out iPad's into a private school in the UK. If I remember right pushing updates and syncing was one of the major challenges that he faced.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies so far. One client just asked to have a blank screen with just their app on it when we deliver them for rental. I believe that this can only be accomplished by jailbreaking. Is this correct. Also if we do decide to jailbreak is there an admin app that would allow me to hide settings?We have 20 iPads sitting on the shelf at the office for me on Monday. I just got back for BlackBerry DevCon 2010.

7. thread starter macrumors member

I am researching the use of NetInstaller from my server to keep the images fresh. Will be testing this next week.