IMAP and Mail.app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by freeorangeshoes, Apr 22, 2005.

1. freeorangeshoes macrumors member

OK, I searched around for about an hour and couldn't find what I was looking for. I'm trying to set up my IMAP .edu account with Mail. On my web server, it looks like this.

INBOX
    mail/Trash
    mail/Sent Messages

My Inbox looks the same in both Mail and on the server. So does my trash (Trash) and Sent Messages (Sent). In Mail, I also have a number of folders set up to catch messages. However, these folders are only on my Mac. How do I get it so these folders are also set up on my web server?

For example, when a new message arrives in my web inbox that is supposed to go to a folder I've set up, it removes it compeletly from the server and puts it on my Mac. However, when it is just supposed to stay in the top-level Inbox, it stays in both places.

Under Preferences, I have it set to store copies of messages on the server. I also have it set up where "mail" is my IMAP path prefix.

I know this was long, but if anyone has any experience with IMAP, please help me out!

2. freeorangeshoes thread starter macrumors member

OK, I think I figured it out. I've just had to create one mailbox in each place - on my mac and on the web server, I figured for IMAP, you would only need one that would sync up with both places. Apparently not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, why can't you group folders under one folder on your mac?

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You ever used Outlook? Does it do the same thing?

(I'm not being smart, I've never used Outlook, I'm genuinely wondering if it's a Mail thing, or an IMAP thing).

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Outlook and Outlook (IMAP) creates its own folders on the server. You are free to create your own folders locally and on the server. However, you are not required to manually create them. Quite frankly, it would surprise me if you were required to create your own folder structure for any IMAP-based mail system.