Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
I use my college email account as my primary email accout and I was wondering about something in Mail. My accout is an IMAP accout and I was wondering if there was a way to display the folders that I have created under the account. Entourage seems to do this without any effort at all, however currently I am only using the trial version of Office so I won't be able to use it forever. I noticed that I can see the folders when I goto message and transfer, but is there a way to display them in the drawer on the side??

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
are you sure you have to use imap? My university recommends you use webmail but then they give u the option for imap or pop. They again recommend imap but I hate imap so I found the pop instructions burried deep away. I know this isn't a straightforward solution but if you were to get pop access mail would work exactly as you want it. Sorry i couldn't be of more help.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
No they don't give you an option. The university used to be all pop but they are making a total switch to imap. Students that have been with the univeristy a few years still have a pop account but all new students have imap accounts now. I would not think that this would be hard to do in mail, i mean i can see the names of the folders and can transfer messages there but I cannot open the folder to view its contents.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Eureka!!!

I got it! For anyone who cares, or having the same problem as me here is how I fixed it.

Go to your preferences, accounts, and edit your accout. Then go to the advanced tab and go to the field labeled "IMAP Path Prefix". On a whim of trying things i put "Inbox" which happens to be my home directory for incomming messages on my account (note it may vary based on the server, and account settings and whatnot). And it worked! Now all my IMAP folders are viewable in the drawer! Now I can stop using Entourage for mail!!

Woohooo! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.