Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Imation's LINK Power Drive is a useful iOS accessory that combines multiple functions into one small, portable package. It's a hard drive with 16 to 64GB of storage for backing up files or storing photos and videos to save space on your iPhone, and it's also a 3,000mAh battery (enough for approximately one charge for an iPhone 6 Plus).

We were impressed with the LINK Power Drive's compact size and its built-in Lightning cable, micro-USB cable, and stand. There's a handy toggle to turn the battery feature on and off, and there's an LED that shows the charge. The built-in battery can be charged via micro-USB and will charge your device whenever it's toggled on.

The LINK Power Drive uses an accompanying Power Drive LT iOS app to manage files, letting users transfer files to the drive or play media files directly from it. There are also tools for automatically backing up the iPhone's contact list and camera roll. Transferring files from a Mac or PC to an iPhone is easy with the Power Drive, as it's possible to plug it into a computer, load up files, and then transfer them over to the iPhone using the app.

The app supports file types like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, MP3, M4A, MP4, MOV, BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, and TIFF. It requires an iOS device that's running iOS 7 and later, so you'll need a newer iPhone to use the LINK Power Drive.

We had a couple qualms with the Power Drive - the app is unfortunately not optimized for the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus despite having received several updates across 2015, and it's also a bit frustrating to have the app pop up every time the Power Drive is plugged in.

The LINK Power Drive can be purchased from Amazon.com in 16, 32, and 64GB capacities. At time this review was published, the 16GB version was priced at $71.70, the 32GB version was priced at $102.73, and the 64GB version was priced at $127.33.

Article Link: Video Review: Imation's LINK Power Drive is an All-In-One Hard Drive, Battery, and Stand

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Nice but hideous.

I was hoping it be elegant because the concept is nice.

Also, manufacturers need to stop making products that start at 16GBs. If it's going to provide additional storage, then it really needs to start at 32GB (64GB if want to know what I REALLY think) and then go up to 128 or 256.

Lastly, I'm not a fan of built-in cables, but to teach their own.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
This is the first time I've run into a MR created video review. I quite like the idea of MR doing these as it would make the site more "sticky" for me as I often go to other sites for these kinds of reviews. Kudos MR and please make more of these.

P.S. Ignore the naysayers that will complain that you are advertising products. As long as these are legitimate reviews they will be welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.