Imation SuperDisk Drive & OS X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BigBurd, Jun 22, 2002.

1. BigBurd macrumors member

BigBurd

Does anyone know if Imation will ever create an OS X driver for the SuperDisk Drive?

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Considering how the LS120 disk is a [now] dead technology, I seriously doubt it. They tried to compete with zip disks, but could not. I'm sure it didn't help that the drives were prone to failure. Of all the superdisk drives that we have at work, less then half of them are still functioning.

3. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

My white 120MB drive has always worked with OS X. I just plugged it in, stuck a disk in, and tadah!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The generic OS X drivers work fine for the SuperDisk drive.

Apple is creating a lot of the drivers this time round.

5. BigBurd thread starter macrumors member

BigBurd

It seems as if the drivers that support the Imation SuperDisk Drive only work with G4 machines. Obviously, my Dual USB iBook is a G3.

Is it true that you need a G4 to use the SuperDisk Drive?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Check the Apple System Profiler to see if the drive is being seen or what driver is being loaded.

But you will need to use the Disk Utility for a lot of the functions that used to be on the desktop under OS 9 - ie format/erase.

7. brogers macrumors regular

I have been using the White Imation 120 Drive since I got OS X. I first used it on my iMac DV SE (G3) when I first got OS X and now I use it on my new FP iMac. Works great.

8. Griffindor73 macrumors member

Mine works fine in OS X on my iMac, but will not display a disc image on the desktop if it has been asleep. I have to restart it to recognise the disc. Fortunately I only use it once in a blue moon when I have to tranfer stuff to PC's at work.