IMAX Movies Are Incredible.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The title says it all.

I went to see "Deep Sea 3D", which is this amazing documentary about the coral ecosystem living deep in the oceans, symbiosis, and different relationships between species that are necessary for the entire system to survive. :) The 3D glasses weren't the old school ones with blue and red lenses. Oh no, these were better. They were normal looking, albeit a tad on the larger size.

Unlike other documentaries, it wasn't just 45 minutes of footage of sharks eating things. We're talking about clams swimming, crabs being eaten, large prawns attacking octopuses, giant attacking squids, giant red starfish, jellyfish, giant jellyfish devouring normal jellyfish, sting rays, etc etc...... I don't even know how to express how good the movie was. :eek:

Anyway, the animals really do come to life on the 3D screen, and it was an incredible movie experience. In fact, it was the most pleasant experience at a "cinema" I have had for a very long time, and I walked out of the cinema thinking that Deep Sea 3D was worth the cost of admission ($15 AUD for students, or aroun $12 USD), which is something I have rarely said in this millenium so far.

Anyway, go see an IMAX movie. :)

2. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

That's why they're called IMAX and not IMEDIOCRE or IGOOD

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Yes IMAX movies are incredible! Perhaps a dozen years ago I saw "The Fires of Kuwait" at the Ontario Place Cinesphere in Toronto. This was a documentary about Saddam Hussein and the Iraqi army's torching of all the oil wells in Kuwait, and the prodigious efforts put into extinguishing all the fires. It was an amazing documentary by itself; it would be worth renting on DVD. However to see it projected on a 6-storey IMAX screen -- with absolutely UNBELIEVABLE brightness and detail -- made the entire experience unforgettable. HDTV still has a very, very long way to go to catch up.

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

yes, i love imax,
    however i have a deep hatred for anything "3D"

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Strange, I saw that Movie Deep Sea 3D... it must have been 5 years ago. Either that or they made a later version of the movie but whatever it did rock, and I saw it in San Jose

6. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The experience would be complete in smell-o-vision and dipped in your own personal water tank. :)

7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Saw "Deep Sea 3D" in Vegas in July at the Imax in the Luxor hotel. It was awsome. Those jelly fish floating in front of me were amazing, like you could reach out and touch them.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The last movie I saw at an IMAX was T-Rex (3-D); it was amazing. You really feel like it's real.

My favorite part is always the introduction where they show-off their sound system (located conveniently behind the semi-translucent screen) and place you in a tropical rain-forest and then in the center of an F-5 tornado. I love that part! :D (I'm not sure that all IMAX theaters do this though.)

9. monke macrumors 65816

monke

A few years ago I saw one about the Space Station and it was amazing. At one point, an astronaut spilled his M&M's and everyone was reaching out trying to grab them :D

I've also seen the Polar Express in 3D, which was awesome.

The whole IMAX experience is wonderful. :)

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I get annoyed with those people. Do they really think there is something there?! :mad: :confused:

11. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

Imagine having an IMAX screen as a display for your Mac.

12. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Um....no, but I still reach sometimes just to see. :eek:

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

For you iMac, even. :p

Never seen a 3D IMAX movie, but I did see Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions at the Loews IMAX theater inside the Sony Metreon in SF... simply incredible.

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

was that the one they show at Kennedy Space Center? I really liked that one...

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Last 3D IMAX I saw was Polar Express. It was cool.

16. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Bah...I'm blind in one eye...so 3D is flat to me.
    the world is paperthin to me.:D

17. Reaver macrumors 6502

I recently saw Superman Returns, Batman Begins and Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire all on Imax if and when there is a movie on Imax I would rather pay and see it in all its glory then pay to see it on a small screen.

18. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I love the IMAX experience, but for some reason I always feel like vomiting after... it's probably something to do with my eyes. Sucks, really.

irmongoose

19. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How much better do regular movies play on an IMAX screen? I've never tried it. Is the sound better, or is the actual movie itself much better? I generally don't mind the picture quality at a cinema, but the sound is awful sometimes. :eek:

I haven't seen Polar Express, but that Space Station one sounds awesome. I can just imagine it.......sooooo soooo relaxing........floating in space......with M&Ms....

20. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

i saw the 3rd matrix film on the imax. it was quite the experience!

21. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

IMAX is the only type of theatre worth the money. The sheer size...... it dwarfs my 20" tube... and the sound! More speakers than my entire house has (Tube TV has one). I must see one.. NOW! :rolleyes:

22. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Know what you mean. I think some movie theaters just don't keep up on their equipment. IMAX is less common, more expensive... I think IMAX theaters keep everything top notch. Quality is part of the experience. Picture quality and sound are leagues better than the regular theater experience (the screen isn't just bigger, there's an amazing level of detail).

23. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I saw Superman Returns to break my IMAX cherry and was very impressed. Wish I'd got tickets sooner as I was near enough on the front row, so the 3D scenes weren't completely perfect. But I was blown away by the trailer for the Ant Bully! All in 3D and it looks fantastic. Shame it seems to be off after this week. No real interest in the story but the Pixar style graphics really work in 3D...

24. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depends on the movie...

Saw Charlie and the Choc Factory there and it was good but not much better than normal cinema.

Saw Supes Returns and would have happily gone back into next showing... ;)

25. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

:eek:
    I saw that movie and it was a real headache. There were a few good scenes which really showed off how 3d is way better than 2d cinema. But after sometime it gave me a serious headache coz of eye strain. The only good part in this movie was the TRex trailer. Simply mind blowing. Still waiting for the iMax in my city to screen it.

Also Supes too wasnt a really good experience with only 20 minutes of 3d sequences. That too not true 3d but digitally recreated ones. I watched the movie again on my regular TV a few days back and I swear I enjoyed those 20 minutes of action way more than I did in iMax.