Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rabidjade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
I landed a few of these systems and have done my research on them. They all came with (1) 200 MHz processor cards and have the ability to run as a dual processor configuration. My question is, are the secondary processor cards same the primary; I have the idea that I want to take two systems and make them one dual processor system. Is this possible or do you have to have a special processor card to turn a single processor system into a dual processor system? Thanks

krisjon

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
Rabidjade said:

You're going back aways technology-wise when you're dealing with 604 processor/original G3 mac clones. I'm sure someone might be able to answer your question if you're patient. Those machines had very little support when they were current and that support is nearly non-existant now. Hang in there.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Short Answer: No

krisjon said:
You're going back aways technology-wise when you're dealing with 604 processor/original G3 mac clones. I'm sure someone might be able to answer your question if you're patient. Those machines had very little support when they were current and that support is nearly non-existant now. Hang in there.

The UMAX S900 used a proprietary dual-processor card. You can't just "gang up" two cards or buy a recent off-the-shelf dual CPU upgrade to do something like that.

The second CPU slot is proprietary to UMAX computers, basically.

There may have been some upgrade path long ago, but I doubt you can get one retail anywhere now (maybe Shreve Systems has some of the dualie cards).

My dad has one of these, and it's just about dead by now.

Rabidjade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
I figured either way the cards are for Umaxes only. I have about 11 of these systems sitting in storage and the specs on them are pretty decent for the times. 200mhz with 256mb ram and a 5gb HD. This is my first jump into the Mac arena and I figured the specs on these units might be a good start for a decent system. Sucks I can't gang up cards, shucks.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Find a Sonnet G3 / or G4 PCI upgrade

Use xpostfacto and run OSX, pretty easy to do and a good little system.

QUOTE=Rabidjade]I figured either way the cards are for Umaxes only. I have about 11 of these systems sitting in storage and the specs on them are pretty decent for the times. 200mhz with 256mb ram and a 5gb HD. This is my first jump into the Mac arena and I figured the specs on these units might be a good start for a decent system. Sucks I can't gang up cards, shucks.[/QUOTE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.