IMDb Comes to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by vertigo235, Dec 9, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

I must say I really like it, it has everything I ever go to imdb.com for and then some bonuses like tonight's TV shows, top lists, etc.

Great app!

2. macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Great! I have the site bookmarked on the iphone, but I was waiting for an app :)

3. macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

US only. AGAIN. This is getting annoying!

4. macrumors 68020

wohoo! bout time.

5. macrumors 65816

zomg, I'm definitely replacing the two-dollar Movie Genie with this one!! Woot!!

6. macrumors member

IMDb.com app free

thanks for the tip

7. macrumors 68000

Pika

Not available in Canada.

8. macrumors member

Or the UK. :mad:

9. macrumors newbie

Capriccio

and France:(

10. macrumors 65816

mickbab

Or Australia. :mad:

Why do they limit it to US?

11. macrumors 6502a

Given the number of US only apps and the number of complaints about it, it amazes me people don't stop whining about and just go open a US account.

12. macrumors 6502a

I have my all my apps and phone and stuff registered under my local account. Any idea what happens if I register for a US account and try to change to the new account on the iphone? Will I be able to use my previously bought stuff just by switching between the 2 accounts?

13. macrumors member

In all fairness we shouldn't have to. Unless there is a legit reason for it being U.S. specific (which lets be honest, this app isn't) I see no reason why it isn't made available to EVERYONE from the get go.

14. macrumors 6502a

If you do it right, nothing happens. The apps from the two accounts will coexist on the iPhone quite happily. When you want apps from US acc, sign out of local acc, sign into US one, get app onto iPhone (or computer, depending on how you're getting it), sign out of US, sign back into local acc, sync. Job done.

15. macrumors 6502a

Granted. But moaning about it here will have little affect.

16. macrumors bot

MacRumors

IMDb Comes to the iPhone

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

TUAW noted yesterday that the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), a popular source for information on movies and TV, has released a dedicated iPhone application [App Store, Free]. The application allows access to IMDb's full offerings, boasting information on over 1.5 million movies and TV shows and over 3.2 million celebrities.
    The application also offers access to trailers and photos for a wide variety of movies, as well as information on movie showtimes and TV listings. Further features include a list of the Top 250 movies as ranked my IMDb users, box office results, and recaps of U.S. TV episodes.

Article Link: IMDb Comes to the iPhone

17. macrumors regular

This is great, but I'm surprised there isn't an accompanying mobile site.

18. macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Not in the UK store, as far as I can see :(

19. macrumors 65816

design-is

Why does this always happen :( Pain in the A$s

20. macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Being outside the USA, I'm unable to confirm, but it doesn't appear to offer anything Movie Genie hasn't already been offering for ages, and that's available internationally.

21. macrumors 6502

powaking

:confused:

Why dedicate an app? This is one of those times that it should just be left as a mobile website alternative. See no need to be an app.

22. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

I don't really see the need for this just like I don't see a need for the Wikipedia app. I'd far rather use the actual websites, that's the beauty of the Safari browser. I hope they don't introduce any kind of 'mobile' version of the site either since mobile versions are never as full featured as the full versions, which render fine on the iPhone.

23. macrumors 6502a

I have a US iTunes account but thats not the point made now is it? If it's not specific to the US it should be available to all. We buy iPhones over the other side of the pond as well you know!

For some people, they mightn't know how to create a US account. I dont see what your problem is - oh yes, you dont have this problem.

24. macrumors 65816

What I like about this app is that it combines features of "Now Playing" with the IMDb. It has location aware search of movie times. It's really fast too - a couple clicks and I can find out what movies are playing around me.

25. macrumors 68000

its a great app. maybe my go-to app for anything movie related