IMDb Updates iPad App with Complete Redesign

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The IMDb app is one of the most popular apps on iOS, with the Internet Movie Database yesterday noting in a press release that its iOS app has been downloaded 25 million times. Along with the milestone comes a redesigned Version 3.0 of the IMDb iPad app, with the goal being to focus on discovery features and allow users to see more content. The iPhone version has also received a few more features and enhancements.

[​IMG]
    The universal IMDb app is a free update on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: IMDb Updates iPad App with Complete Redesign

2. macrumors 6502a

Can't access my watchlist on the ipad version. Also what happened to that trailer queue feature on the ipad version?

3. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Welcome to MacRumors, where we seldom provide Mac news and rumors, and instead flood the front page with iOS app updates!

Just teasing :p App looks good. Might want to fix the "&"s in the quote though.

EDIT - Looks like that only shows up in the forum post and not the article link. Interesting.

4. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I'm hearing lots of things about network connectivity problems. I think I'll hold off for a while: this is probably my favourite app on the iPad.

5. macrumors regular

Knock it off

If redesigns don't make things work better, stop redesigning crap. This simply forces users to learn a new interface. Knock it off!

6. macrumors regular

Ugh! Looks Awful.
    I have completely stopped updating a lot of apps because of this new design model that seems to have no grasp of style,ipad capacity or bandwith usage.

7. macrumors 65816

SockRolid

Tap the icon at the far right of the navigation bar. (Looks like a bookmark with a check mark in it with a number to the right.)

I think the redesign is spectacular and very intuitive. The old version's "Browse" button on the bottom navigation bar was a kludge. Forced you to search both the top and bottom nav bars to figure out how to get to your watchlist, etc. And all the Browse button did was pop up a long menu, creating a "drill down" effect. Eliminating unnecessary complexity like that is always a good thing.

And it looks vastly better. Subtle use of shading, pixel-perfect custom graphics, great typography for very good readability. I use it several times a day, and for me it's a huge improvement. (The search bar is the most important feature, for me anyway, and it's still right there at the top of the home view.)

8. macrumors 68000

TMar

The old design looked awful. This is a step in the right direction!

9. macrumors 65816

SockRolid

Agree. Old design was a massive jumble, controls scattered all over the screen.

Getting a little tired of all the relentless-gray apps though.