IMEI blacklist.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by al821, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

so i know att started to blacklist imei for stolen or lost phones. can the blacklisted phone be used on tmobile?

i had my phone robbed, so yea.

2. macrumors 68040

bandofbrothers

The imei lockout should stop the iPhone being used in any network.

In the Uk if a lockout is imposed by the network it would only hold in the uk hence why a lot of cellphones that are stolen are shipped abroad.

3. macrumors 6502

AT&T blacklisting only works on their own network and will not affect other gsm networks like tmobile and their subsidiaries. It is not like in Europe where carriers will share a blacklist. Tmobile I don't believe use a blacklist system of any kind.

4. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

5. macrumors 601

The blacklist used "in the UK" is actually an international one, but it's not the same as the one in the US.

6. macrumors regular

They should make this as a public database so people who buy phones from CL can verify before buying and not end up with a blacklisted phone.

7. macrumors 68000

Disagree. It is well known that phones stolen in the UK are shipped to Italy and France.

8. macrumors 601

It's not a case of "disagree".

It's a fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Equipment_Identity_Register

I did not say that ALL networks in the world use it.

I don't know specifically about France and Italy, but I'd be surprised if they didn't use it.

If they go abroad, they tend to go to countries with slim to no chance of any form of IMEI blocking ever being implemented.

9. macrumors regular

AT&T, Verzion, et al. will start sharing their database soon so that a blacklisted # in AT&T's database will also be in Verizon's and so forth.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. shouldve been more careful but **** happens. even though the phone is gone, it's good to know that the scumbag will not be able to activate it on any GSM network within the states