Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdkid2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Iowa
The Messages Beta on Lion was great and worked perfectly but ever since switching to Mountain Lion and using the *official* release, I have had nothing but problems.

Two issues:
1) Messages.app keeps asking me for my iCloud password. I enter it and nothing happens.
messagesss.jpg

2) It won't stay in sync with my iPhone and iPad (yes, I'm using my email address for the iMessages on all devices). It eventually syncs after a while or when I enter my password when it prompts (syncs this way very rarely).

Anyone having the same issue(s)? I've Googled and tried different things people have posted on the Apple Support site but nothing has worked (from what I've seen).

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I had this problem. I also used Messages beta on Lion, and had no problems with it (aside from the lack of synchronization when people messaged me at my phone number).

Eventually, after entering my password enough it stopped prompting me for it (but didn't activate iMessage). When I tried to activate it, it once again asked for my password, and then accepted it. Everything seemed to be fine: all of my old conversations were there and visible. However, after quitting Messages and reopening it, my conversations were either blank or formatted very strangely. Restarting the program didn't fix it. I deleted all of the old conversations. Now it seems to be working, and when I get a message from someone I conversed with previously, the message history returns - although the history contains a number of repeated lines from my text (sometimes as many as five repeats), but it seems to be random.

I guess Apple is still working things out. I expect most of the issues to be cleared up around the time that iOS 6 is release this autumn.

gdkid2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Iowa
Got this annoying thing figured out... finally.

What I did:
1) Log out of Apple ID with iMessage on iPhone
2) Turn off iMessage
3) Turn iMessage back on but don't log in with Apple ID - let it activate with just your phone number
4) Log back in with Apple ID in iMessage and it works!

kevinandinger

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
kevinatkins67

I keep trying to access my messages but get a box saying "password missing Enter the password for the account "yahoo." I've no idea what account "yahoo" is, let alone the password for it. The passwords I use on my apple and Orange accounts don't work, nor does my password for my e-mail account at yahoo.co.uk

Nivek

jtm77

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
I had a bunch of problems with iMessage on 10.8 (didn't use it in Lion). Called Apple support etc., to no avail. In the end it was simply I didn't have iMessage set up on my phone to use anything other than my number. After I associated the appropriate email address's it worked perfectly.

echorukia

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2013
imessage down

Well, it's happening again to me too. No idea why I can't get it back up. Is apple saying anything?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

What I did:
2) Turn off iMessage
3) Turn iMessage back on but don't log in with Apple ID - let it activate with just your phone number

Tried this and it did not work.

urepidermisisshowing

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2016

What I did:
2) Turn off iMessage

Thanks. This worked for me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.