Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Anyone else getting this message on the iMessage status?
Settings -> Messages -> iMessage
Under it I have that sentence "Waiting for activation..."
Which kind of activation do I need to do to start using iMessage?
Thanks.

Rickity Rick

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
Actually, I just waited and then it activated. And then, I was stupid enough to turn iMessage off. -___- Now it's waiting for activation again. But I think you just need to toggle the iMessage slider continuously. It's a pain, but it will eventually activate.

----EDIT----
Yeah, just toggle the slider and wait.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Will iMessage allow for free texting between people in America and others in Europe, for example?
Why can you choose a Location on the iMessage Account?
If you go to the Message Settings and press Receive At and then press Apple ID, there you'll be able to Change Location.
There it says:
"Choose a country or region to allow iMessage to message local number in your address book."

What is this for?

Gdgtguru

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I had this issue with both facetime and iMessage during the betas, the below steps resolved both issues for me.

To fix the FaceTime activation message, follow the steps below:

1.) Turn on WiFi by going to Settings > WiFi and connect to your local WiFi network.

2.) Go to Settings > General > About and wait here (about a minute) until you receive a carrier update prompt. After the update, the carrier field should say “xxxx 7.2″, where “xxxx” is your carrier name. If the carrier says “xxx 8.0″ or later, continue to step 3.

3.) Now go to Settings > Phone. Turn off FaceTime and turn off “Show My Caller ID”. Then, turn iPhone 4 off (slide to power off method).

4.) Turn iPhone 4 back on. Go to Settings > Phone. Turn “Show My Caller ID” back on and turn FaceTime back on. Make a call to another iPhone 4.

5.) If you are running iOS 4.1 or later, go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
Will iMessage allow for free texting between people in America and others in Europe, for example?
Why can you choose a Location on the iMessage Account?
If you go to the Message Settings and press Receive At and then press Apple ID, there you'll be able to Change Location.
There it says:
"Choose a country or region to allow iMessage to message local number in your address book."

What is this for?

with iMessage you can text anyone in the world as long as they also have iOS 5 also it uses your wifi, or data depending on whether wifi is available or not.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Does my carrier need to support this new feature?
It still does not activate.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Maybe that's it...
And anyone knows why you can chose a region on iMessage?

navindralr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
it takes awhile to activate... I've had this issue since Beta 1 until now. You just have to toggle it on and leave it. I have tried turning phone on and off, doing it with wifi on or off.. Nothing really makes a difference.

What I did notice, is that I could iMessage after a short time of waiting for it to activate, even WHILE it still said "waiting for activation." So there might be a slow communication between the phone and servers. Try testing iMessage with someone who you know has iMessage. Probably hard to do at the moment since it's just rolling out now. Also, when you're typing in someones apple id or phone number for iMessage, don't just type the message and send. wait for the send button to turn from green to blue, then send it (as long as the other persons iMessage is active, this will always happen). I did this a couple times to kind of kick the phone out of the "waiting for activation" time frame.

whathesaid

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
UK
My apple id has been verified, but when I try to add my me.com email address it says 'unable to verify because it is already in use'???? anyone know why that is?

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I just got the message unable to activate.

I hope it isn't a having GM issue...

Me too!
This sucks...

Will there be an App or some way to run our contact list and know exactly which of our contacts has iMessage active?

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Either none of my contacts updated yet or me not having it on yet doesn't allow me to see that status on my contact list.

I don't know what to do anymore to get it activated...

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
I think I managed to activate it.
Anyone in the USA would like to test iMessage over the Atlantic?
I'm in Sweden ;)
Send me a PM with your phone number.
I have turn off "Send As SMS" when iMessage not available.

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
UK
iMessage is inside the Message app itself.
Go to Settings -> Messages and check if iMessage is turn ON and ACTIVATED.

iMessage is on and it does not say anything about being activated. The message app looks the same as it did before iOS5. :s

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
iMessage is on and it does not say anything about being activated. The message app looks the same as it did before iOS5. :s

So it says "iMessages can be sent between iPhone, (...)" right?

Then it should be on. But I haven't been able to test it has I have no contacts with iOS 5 installed yet.

Apparently, when sending a message to another user with iMessage activated, the send button will be blue, instead of green.

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
When I try to associate my e-mail address with iMessage it tells me it can't verify it since it's "already in use". I don't get it? It's just my me.com-address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.