Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011

Attachments

• Photo 13-6-12 7 28 06 AM.png
    Photo 13-6-12 7 28 06 AM.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 177
  • Photo 13-6-12 7 27 35 AM.png
    Photo 13-6-12 7 27 35 AM.png
    381.2 KB · Views: 289

Dpettit13

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
The only issue I still see is that in the Mountain Lion beta if you send an iMessage it still shows up on the other end from your email address. I don't see the new settings to remedy this as I do on the iPhone and iPad with ios6.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

Dpettit13 said:
The only issue I still see is that in the Mountain Lion beta if you send an iMessage it still shows up on the other end from your email address. I don't see the new settings to remedy this as I do on the iPhone and iPad with ios6.

This is because you are using the email address to send the message.

You can associate your phone number do if a message is sent to your cell, it will also appear on the Mac.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I wonder how this is gonna work exactly? Let's say i put my brother's number or my sister's will it accept their numbers? How is the association with phone number works?

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
I wonder how this is gonna work exactly? Let's say i put my brother's number or my sister's will it accept their numbers? How is the association with phone number works?

Under settings, phone, My Number. That number there (which is located on the SIM and cannot be changed in iOS6) is associated with the device and then your apple ID.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
If you go into Settings on iPhone and set iMessage to receive at email instead of you mobile phone number, it will work across all devices.

I use iMessage on my MB Air and iPhone and they pretty much stay in sync other than some quircks with it still being in beta on Mac.

My wife uses her iPad for iMessage all the time and it also stays in sync with her iPhone. When she gets an iMessage text, both the iPad and iPhone go off at the same time.

I've done this and to be honest, my devices are so hilariously out of sync I will just use my iPhone even if I'm sitting with my iPad/Mac.

sharpycl

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2009
Gaithersburg, MD
Please explain how you got your phone number listed on the iPad. Mine still only lists both my email addresses and not my phone number.

Edit: going to do a clean install of ios 6. Well see what happens after.

It works only in iOS6. A clean install won't fix this or add that feature in iOS5.

omr

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
So am I to understand that until iOS 6, I cannot receive messages via iMessage to my iPhone and iPad simultaneously/synced if the message was addressed to my iPhone?
The issue I'm having is that when a user is in the message app on an iPhone, adding a contact to address/send the message to does not give you an email address of the intended recipient as an option, but only phone numbers.
I have set my caller ID within iPhone/settings/messages/receive at/caller ID to my apple ID/email address. Rebooted both my iPhone and iPad but still am not receiving messages on my iPad unless the message is addressed/sent to my email address (meaning the sender would need to send by going to iPhone/contacts/ recipient /send message/ apple ID/associated email address of recipient), at which point I do then receive the message at both my ipadvand iPhone.
I have not yet installed the beta on my MacBook pro (osx 10.6.8 snow leopard), so that as of now is not a factor.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
So am I to understand that until iOS 6, I cannot receive messages via iMessage to my iPhone and iPad simultaneously/synced if the message was addressed to my iPhone?
The issue I'm having is that when a user is in the message app on an iPhone, adding a contact to address/send the message to does not give you an email address of the intended recipient as an option, but only phone numbers.
I have set my caller ID within iPhone/settings/messages/receive at/caller ID to my apple ID/email address. Rebooted both my iPhone and iPad but still am not receiving messages on my iPad unless the message is addressed/sent to my email address (meaning the sender would need to send by going to iPhone/contacts/ recipient /send message/ apple ID/associated email address of recipient), at which point I do then receive the message at both my ipadvand iPhone.
I have not yet installed the beta on my MacBook pro (osx 10.6.8 snow leopard), so that as of now is not a factor.

People who are not on ios 6 have the same problem... If someone imsg me using my cell number i will only receive it on my iphone, if they send it by email i will receive it on both my ipad, my iphone, even my ipod touch all at the same time... When composing a new msg there's a little + sign from there you can pick your contact, and then choose if you wanna send it by email or phone number... You will have 2 different threads with the same name. ios 6 is suppose to fix that, i cant wait to get my hands on the update!

itwasntme187

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
I have just installed Mountain Lion on my mac and after i logged into messages it would not sync the imessage that was on my iphone, however once i synced my contacts from the phone to the mac (icloud sync) the mac now sends to phone numbers and picks up messages that are replied to that on all devices.
Problem i am having is when someone sends me a message to my iphone number it does not appear on the mac. should this not all be pushed from the icloud servers to all my idevices?

omr

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I have just installed Mountain Lion on my mac and after i logged into messages it would not sync the imessage that was on my iphone, however once i synced my contacts from the phone to the mac (icloud sync) the mac now sends to phone numbers and picks up messages that are replied to that on all devices.
Problem i am having is when someone sends me a message to my iphone number it does not appear on the mac. should this not all be pushed from the icloud servers to all my idevices?

Did you change your "caller id" on all your devices, but especially on your iphone to your apple id/email address in imessage/messages settings?

settings/messages/receive at/caller ID

i was hoping ios6 would work this out w/out a user having to manually set that up, but I bet this is your problem. At least w/ ios5, you need all the devices to have the caller id associated with your apple id as opposed to your cell number so that it directs the messages properly.

HKZ/MST3K

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
I'm really confused. I just installed ML on my MBP and I'm getting some really confusing behavior from Messages.

1. I have the setting on my 4S to receive messages at both my phone number, and an @me.com email address.

2. I have the messages app set to receive at the same @me.com address.

3. I'm sending messages from my Mac to those peoples phone numbers, they are getting them no problem, I'm receiving replies without issue, but what I type on my Mac doesn't show on my phone.

4. End result is I can send/recieve replys from my Mac no problem (to their phone numbers), I get their replies on both my Mac and my 4S without issue, but nothing I type on my Mac shows up on my 4S and all conversations are completely broken. It's a hodgepodge of broken conversations because what I send from my Mac doesn't show on my phone.

5. Am I doing it wrong? What setting(s) do I need to change on one/both devices to have the complete conversation mirrored on my Mac and my 4S? Is this even possible? From the blurbs on Apples website it sounded like everything said no matter where it was sent would be the same on any device that uses iMessage. Am I misinterpreting this, or am I the problem?

Thanks for any help, this is seriously confusing for me!

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
iMessage is still glitchy. I have an issue with one friend, and one friend only, where after it says it has been "delivered" it tells me that the failed to send, even though the friend responds to my text, and tells me he got it.

iko.

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
SYD
Since yesterday it's working in all my devices to/from iPad/iPhone, email/phone number. Perfect synchronisation. I mean I can send iMessage to phone numbers from my iPad for the first time!

I'm using iOS 5.1.1

Last edited:

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Since yesterday it's working in all my devices to/from iPad/iPhone, email/phone number. Perfect synchronisation. I mean I can send iMessage to phone numbers from my iPad for the first time!

I'm using iOS 5.1.1
I could always send messages to phone numbers (iMessage only) through my computer or iPad; the big issue is about receiving messages from others. If someone texts my phone number via iMessage, only my phone gets it; the computer and iPad do not (unless I specifically send a message from one of them, which tends to create two conversations on the other person's device).

Are you saying that messages from other people who start the conversation are now showing up across all of your devices?

kaelanm

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
It's possible that I missed something, as once I saw that some of you had iOS6, I rushed to make an account and ask this: HOW?! Please tell me you are an Apple developer or something and that you have the beta version. Or have you actually managed to snag a full copy of iOS6, because I know it's not released yet!

iko.

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
SYD
Are you saying that messages from other people who start the conversation are now showing up across all of your devices?

Yes. Now (since a few days ago) I have full iMessage synchronization in all my devices, it doesn't matter if I am using WIFI or 3G. I can iMessage to phone numbers and/or email and receive them as well.

I got two new conversations started from an iPhone number. I didn't start the conversation it just showed up in my iPad as well.

The only bad thing is that now most of the times I receive a message I can hear a double alert, one coming from the iPhone and the other one from the iPad.

llicari

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Still havin a problem with iPad.

I notice once I install Mountain Lion on my iMac I could see my cell number associated with my iPhone but I am still having issues with my iPad. I do not see my cell number just my email address(es). I am using a wifi only iPad, it is running 6.0.1 and it has been rebooted.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Still havin a problem with iPad.

I notice once I install Mountain Lion on my iMac I could see my cell number associated with my iPhone but I am still having issues with my iPad. I do not see my cell number just my email address(es). I am using a wifi only iPad, it is running 6.0.1 and it has been rebooted.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

Had the same problem, turn off imessage, and turn back on and you should see the option to check your phone number... Make sure that i message on your iphone is on and activated... You will get a popup notification on your iphone saying that your ipad is using your phone number for imessage.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Had the same problem, turn off imessage, and turn back on and you should see the option to check your phone number... Make sure that i message on your iphone is on and activated... You will get a popup notification on your iphone saying that your ipad is using your phone number for imessage.

Thanks helped me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.