iMessages being sent as text

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thinkadam, Nov 10, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Happens the odd time but during a iMessage convo it randomly sends as a text (green instead of blue) and then goes back.
    Had about 3 in a row today.
    Wouldn't really care but it happend to be Canada to the us and I get dinged extra.
    Any ideas ?

2. macrumors 6502a

Could be that the other person lost a data connection. When I am texting my girlfriend and she is in class it will randomly go to texts since she has really weak signal in there.

3. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sometimes the other party doesn't have a data connection so it sends it as a text. If you'd rather have a message sent as an iMessage (regardless of when the person receives it), I'd ask for their iMessage email address so the phone doesn't have the option as sending it as a text message.

4. macrumors 6502

Can't the same thing be achieved by just turning off the "Send As SMS" setting?

5. macrumors 65816

Or simply set 'Send As SMS' to OFF.

6. macrumors 6502a

7. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Hah, I didn't even know there was such setting. Yeah, I'd assume that it does the same thing.

Thanks for pointing it out

8. thread starter macrumors regular

thinking about it..even if the other side I'm sending to loses data what difference does that make?
    Assume his phone is off...it should still go thru and he will receive when back online.
    Maybe he was in an elevator, etc.
    iMessage does have offline messages right?
    So losing data wouldn't make sense..

9. macrumors 6502

alecgold

Darn, read your own thread, put off the send as SMS option and you're fine.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I was following it...and of course did that.
    It was more of a question/discussion as to why would a loss of data switch it to text anyways...what if the other phone was completely off. Would it go thru as offline

11. macrumors newbie

Let's say you are imessaging someone and all of a sudden my messages sends as regular texts. Can it also mean the other person is talking on the phone? (He has verizon and so do I). Also, I'm wondering if the person is still on the phone (or doesn't have data connection), will it let you know that you are unable to send imessages before even sending anything? I noticed that for awhile, it said "Text message" in the inbox and the "send" button was green instead of blue. Usually, it will say imessage and the send button will be blue. What does this mean? Thank you.

12. macrumors 6502

An iMessage can't "go through" to a phone with no data connection - whether it is on or off. Presumably it sits on an Apple server somewhere just waiting to be delivered. They probably have a time-out, and after that time, it switches over to SMS (unless you have turned off that possibility as outlined earlier in this thread).