IMF/World Bank Protest Pictures

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jelloshotsrule, Apr 27, 2004.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

2. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

gotta love that adbusters corporate flag dealie. no violence this year?

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

none that i saw. just the one arrest of some guy who did nothing as far as i could tell... and then chants of "let him go, let him go"... of course, with the ridiculously tiny media coverage (even near DC), no one would know this went down at all. makes you wonder if the riots are "necessary" to even gain attention

this was a relatively small crowd. probably a couple thousand. as compared to the hundreds of thousands the womens' march was supposedly getting the following day...

the adbusters flag is good... was also cool to see the nader folks there.. issues like these (imf/world bank) are ones that definitely separate him from the demopublicans...

but, this is no political forum. ;)

4. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

You know, I'm living in Washington now, and I have to say that the IMF/Word Bank protestors this past weekend were really complete idiots--they were just a bunch of ignorant, pot-smoking, dreamers who have no grasp on the workings of the real world. They have no idea what they are talking about, and only want to take to the streets so they can commit acts of violence and vandalism without consequence (a number of cars were keyed/painted as they passed by). No wonder only about 1500 of them showed up; I hope they disappear altogether in years to come.

In contrast, the women's rights march the next day was great. It's good to see how effective such an undertaking can be. They did everything right, and conveyed a realistic, positive message to the world. I'm glad their message was able to overshadow that of the idiots the day before.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Somebody better move this thread, it's about to get political.

K, first of all I want you to state you objective evidence that a) the protesters were ignorant, b) that they smoked pot, c) what pot smoking has to do with anything, d) why you give the term "dreamers" a negative connotation, and e) that most of the protesters were violently inclined - any three idiots could've keyed cars, leaving 1497 non-idiot protesters.

If you disagree with the protesters' position, simply calling them stupid does not win your argument.

The IMF and World Bank have serious issues plaguing them. These people are trying to call attention to those deficits. Namely, the lender-oriented and austerity programs instituted by the IMF/World Bank do not help borrower nations in the way the organizations were intended to help. They have actually hurt on several occasions, leading to painful economic retractions that have hurt everyone, lender and borrower alike.

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i find it funny protesters covered their faces up. don't believe enough for mommy to see you in the newspaper?

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Great pics - yeah, it seemed to be really low key this year. I work a few blocks from the World Bank and on Fridays before the event things can get a little crazy sometimes - nothing this year.

D

8. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's exactly what i thought at first... why wouldn't you be proud of your convictions...?

but i am pretty sure it's just a symbolic, guerilla-like revolutionary appearance thing.... that said, i'm not sure it really helps the credibility factor

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i agree that may be the point that they were attempting to get across, but i just see it as a flawed implementation of a protest.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

From the pictures, the masked protesters appear to be a very small percentage of the whole, and yes, they're apparently doing it for effect, not to hide themselves. I agree it's probably not a good idea...nor was the communist flag. Just gives people a basis to criticize a just cause.

They are hardly ignorant or unrealistic. Did you see the water protest banner? Even now, companies are jockeying to become suppliers of fresh water to foreign countries that need it. So rather than the municipality-distributed system we have now, someday the world's water supply may be held hostage by private corporations that charge exorbitant prices to supply a basic need. Ah, the wonders of living in a global corpocracy.... :mad:

I do like the "corporate America" flag, though. Very clever. :cool:

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i suspect it's so their FBI files won't get any thicker