iMic able to connect my speakers to my iMac G4?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by swahilibill, Feb 6, 2003.

1. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2002
    Highlands Ranch
    I have been looking at the Griffin iMic and I was wondering if I could plug the iMic into my computer, and then my speakers into it as well with a headphone adapter that I use for them and power the speakers that way? Is it possible, thanks in advance!!!
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm lost in the wording of your situation.

I have an iMic, and it has one output and input available. You can only have either the speakers or the input (i.e. a microphone or other audio recording device) active, depending on where the switch on it is positioned. If you have a computer lacking an audio output and relies on USB audio (examples: approx. 500MHz model PowerMac G4s, late graphite models) then you will need an iMic for speaker systems with only an audio plug. The iMic is also helpful for similar situations with audio in instead of audio out, as previously described, if you don't have an audio port.

Those are the only purposes of the iMic. So I'm lost as to what you mean by combining your speakers and another adapter with the iMic.
  3. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    Swahilibill -

The iMic is indeed an input/output device. However, some speakers are active - and therefore require a power source - which is unsupported by the iMic.

BUT - if you were to go to the Griffin website at and click on the PowerWave link, I think your questions will be answered by THAT device - I think it might be perfect for what you require!