Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Personavox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
I've installed beta six of el capitan and firmware updates from a source. This has caused issues and I'm not able to get past the login screen screen goes black and screen flickers freezes. Eventually reboots.

I don't want to loose my data and I'm able to see it by command shift R. Recovery. Therefore I can see Yosemite .app and dmg file and I also have el capitan install files.

This disk utility is different. I have a usb and can format it. Tried using terminal to write application location to install on usb create installmedia (Sudo) didn't work.

Options. Shouldn't I be able to install those install image / dmg files. I'm lost. I know there is a common sense response to this. Spent touch time confusing myself and hot lost.

Also when internet recovery - gives me lion. I attempted to install on a new partition sense I didn't want to loose my data I partitioned drive. Installing lion from net recovery - failed said OS x recovery not found or located or something.

Pleas help me.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I've installed beta six of el capitan and firmware updates from a source. This has caused issues and I'm not able to get past the login screen screen goes black and screen flickers freezes. Eventually reboots.

I don't want to loose my data and I'm able to see it by command shift R. Recovery. Therefore I can see Yosemite .app and dmg file and I also have el capitan install files.

This disk utility is different. I have a usb and can format it. Tried using terminal to write application location to install on usb create installmedia (Sudo) didn't work.

Options. Shouldn't I be able to install those install image / dmg files. I'm lost. I know there is a common sense response to this. Spent touch time confusing myself and hot lost.

Also when internet recovery - gives me lion. I attempted to install on a new partition sense I didn't want to loose my data I partitioned drive. Installing lion from net recovery - failed said OS x recovery not found or located or something.

Pleas help me.

Are you using a MacBook Pro 2011, that is 15 or 17 inches

Also, I don't see a question in there, it appears that you an having multiple issues. The most important appears to be the flicking.

If you do have that model of mac, check out this thread:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.