IMMEDIATE HELP Please! Huge scam???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jscheiman, Apr 16, 2005.

1. jscheiman macrumors member

Is this a scam? It seems way to good to be true. I emailed this guy. The listing says the product is in Baltimore, MD. Hi email reply says he's in Portland, OR.

He told me he's selling the 2.5 G5 tower for $2300, the 23" Cinema for $400 and the 30" for $600. However, if you buy all three he'll only charge $3,080 total inlcuding shipping and insurance.

Something seems way off here. Is it just me. The line of bait really has me interested however....

Check it out!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51036&item=5767634508&rd=1

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Nobody would sell a PowerMac G5, LCD, and stuff for that much of a discount.

Since Apple, nor their distributor off discounts that deep.

It's a scam, but go for it and we'll say "Told you so..." when you get ripped off.

3. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure I'll end up passing up the deal, but I just can't help be intrigued by what the auction says. I don't think I'll be taking the fall on losing that much money.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Didn't see anything original, just a bunch of crap directly off Apple's servers (literally).

It's 50-80% off LCDs and a PowerMac...

Only way to beat that price is to steal it yourself.

---

Heck, they even toss in Mac OS X Server Unlimited -- and that's a $1k all by itself, not to mention the 6800 card and the rest.

5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

It's defiantly a scam. First of all, the majority of the listing is from apple.com. Secondly, the guy only has 3 feedback, and hasn't recieved any for 3 years. Third, people don't just becme computer dealers overnight. This guy has never old a computer, so why would he start now. If he really was a dealer, he would realize you could never make money on a maxed out Powermac. (That Powermac is probably worth 5 grand plus, because of the 8 gigs of RAM and 500 GB of Hard Drive space.)

6. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

That's why it stuck out so strong. There's more than $7000 worth of hardware there.

Like you said, the only other possibility is that it is all hot stuff and he just wants to make a quick cheap buck.

He really should be reported to eBay for this kind of scam, should it be true.

7. Devie macrumors 6502a

If it is an actual product, its probably stolen... but where the hell would you steal a PM with everything maxed out? Not to mention a 30 and 23" LCD... where the hell would you even find that?

8. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

The guy is really trying to play it straight by replying to my email. However, like I said earlier, the listing says it's in Baltimore but his email tells me Portland....

Here's a copy of the email he sent me:

Hi there,

The system is brand new factory sealed and comes with one year full manufacturer's warranty.
    The price is $2,300 for the G5, $400 for the 23" Display and $600 for the 30" Display.
    If purchased the G5 system plus both apple displays then the price for the package is $3,000.
    FedEx delivery within US takes only two days and cost $80 including insurance.
    So the total for the G5 package including two monitors and shipping is $3,080.
    Reply if you're interested in purchasing this system.

Thank you.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Ask if he'll do escrow. If he doesn't, it's a scam.

10. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

He didn't even reply to my second email. Why people have to play these kinds of games, I don't know. I guess I figured I'd post this link so that no one else would fall into his trap.

Hey thanks everyone for you quick replies. Now, I can no longer hold my eyes open so I'll dream of G5's in my head and hope to hear some positive things from NAB tomorrow!

11. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

12. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Look at the pics of the monitor boxes. If one is 30" monitor and one a 23" then why are the boxes the same size?

13. matthewr macrumors member

someone BOUGHT it

Well, someone got a good deal, but somehow I don't think it was the guy who "bought" the PM for $1000. Apparently only one person was fooled by the scam. The auction has now closed.

14. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Like the way there's no actual pictures of the computer running, or even the computer at all! Lovely big, empty boxes!
    I remember when someone bought an "xbox box" for $400 during peak time, and the poor sod got the empty box for the xbox! :D

15. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

He did email me back last night with this:

<<Safest for both of us is to deal under protection of eBay.
    Provide your full name and address so I could forward your details to eBay to initiate the transaction.

Michael>>

It does seem like he is trying to scam to get personal information and hijack my eBay account or something.

I obviously have passed on this offer because it sounds far from reliable. I will probably forward this info on to eBay and have it checked out. Things just don't seem to add up here.

16. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The auction was closed, so why are you still emailing this guy?

17. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

I had emailed him twice last night before the auction ended. I am no longer in contact with him.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

easyest way to test scammers

ask if you can pick it up physically, if it still seems dodgy take a friend with you and see the stuff working before you buy.

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yup,

Heck if that auction was legitimate, you could buy a first-class ticket to fly down and pick it up yourself and still come out ahead.