Immortality awaits

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Apr 12, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Link

Looks like "War and Peace" will end up looking like a short read. And you might as well buy in bulk at the grocery store.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't want to live forever. I think that the hardships of this world, of trying to earn a living and such goes on long enough as it is.

Now, if I could live a good 80 years, but have the health and strength of a 25 year old all my life rather than suffering the decline as my body deteriorates, that I might be interested in.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

We are SO not ready for immortality, even if it is possible (which I don't believe it is... not yet, and not anytime soon).

For starters, we all still live HERE. When people (and not ALL people, just those rich enough to afford the "immortality process") start living forever, the population is going to spike sharply. Also, the inevitable class war between those who "live forever" and those who don't will be UGLY.

We need to be out THERE before we start doing something crazy like living forever. As Kosh said on Babylon 5, "You are not ready [for immortality]."

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Makes you wonder if they'd rewrite the laws on assisted suicide. After a few hundred years people would start succumbing to Highlander Syndrome or something.

Maybe the current administration should look into this - then they could raise the retirement age to 200.

Joking aside, I think I remember reading somewhere that it was determined that we have a genetic switch of sorts that decides when it's time for our cells to stop regenerating. Don't quote me on this as I'm not a scientist and I don't pretend to fully understand how it all works, but if they can find out how to keep that switch from triggering...

5. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

If there we live for 1000 years and feeling 20 yrs old, we would have to start colonizing other planets. Like the book "The Martian Chronicles."

I kinda agree with stoid. Old but feeling like 20 is interesting.

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Immortality would do our species a disservice...

Evolution depends on death.

Besides, to live forever would mean that you believe you have forever to get things done. Important things would NEVER get done then. Immortality is a procrastinator's DREAM!

Imagine the horror if you COULDN'T die. Not even kill yourself by starving or jumping in front of a train... Kind of like Groundhog Day, but with different days... Different day, same shi*...

7. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I hope I can be the jr asst mgr at burgerworld for 985 years! :eek:

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Maybe this 'immortality' wouldn't be for everyone, just leader/visionary types. If age brings wisdom, it would just make sense to have a 500 year old running the show especially with the vigor of a 20 year old.

[yoda] When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not! Hmmph! [/yoda]

9. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well as the jr asst mgr at burgerworld I could be that leader/visionary, who else would have 100 yrs experience on on each of the shake machine, fyer, soda fountain, cash register, and mop bucket! I could be all that I could be! :p I would also reach 1000 lbs in less than 1000yrs on the chocolate shakes alone!!

This could be utopia. :eek:

edit: with the 20yr old body, does that mean 1000 yrs of zits?

10. Flickta macrumors 6502

I respect Kosh greatly... But he said that more or less because immortality in Babylon 5 was tightly connected with death (using blood to create the medicine).

And really, if the situation will change that drastically (I think not), I am sure we'll just have to learn how to live with it. Like we all live with nuclear missiles aimed at each other's home.

11. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

The two reasons I know of for aging involve your DNA and toxins. Your cells can only divide a set certain number of times before they start to "mess up". This typically leads to the death of the cell. The other reason is that cells make toxins as a bi-product of metabolism which causes degredation of your DNA. If you were to fix these two problems I don't see why people wouldn't live a lot longer.

The article mentions genomic manipulation. That is a tricky thing politically and ethically and I see those things stalling the process more than the science. Another point I wanted to add was that while you are doing the genetic manipulation you can fix things other than aging. Any sort of genetic disease; diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer's, MS, cancer, etc. So this isn't just making people live longer, but also increasing the quality of that life.

The process also seems like it needs to be done regularly, so if you want to die, just don't do it and you will age normally. Also, none of this research will save you from being shot or falling off a cliff.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

That would be my concern – you know the people who would benefit from this are the types you wouldn't want to be around forever.

13. mpw Guest

After a couple of decades with nobody dying we're all going to be packed so tight together shoulder to shoulder that should you happen upon a cliff there'll be a nice cushion of a billion other people to break your fall.

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, the basic problem here is that this guy is trying to wage a war against entropy... the one thing in the Universe that ultimately cannot be defeated. Aging is a universal concept... stars do it, galaxies do it, planets do it, and organic life does it. In the long run, you simply cannot defeat entropy.

The quest for immortality may bring us a lot of side benefits, such as cures for diseases and improved quality of life... but I hope we never actually get to immortality itself. To achieve this would diminish our humanity and, I believe, would cause more problems than it solves.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Everyone go read Vonnegut. Right now.

I'd like to live for, maybe a few hundred years. Granted I may not feel that way after the first 100 are up. But right now, i'd say 400 would be cool. Definitely not forever, wow, no.

16. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Imagine what you would have to buy your spouse on the 400th wedding anniversary. :eek:

17. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

what a miracle science is.

it can do so much, but we pervert it to our own twisted ends.

immortality? we can't even fix our own planet's problems.

baby steps, fix the world, then work on living forever =P.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Immortality has been the dream of humans since the beginning of time. We are not really any closer to finding cures for diseases. Many of them cause a decrease in quality of life. What is needed more is for humans to have a quality of life. At least I would prefer to be alert and able to do all my activities of dailing living. Having enjoyment of life is very important.

19. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I think human immortality may very well happen someday. But I predict that only the immortal ones living today will live to see it.

20. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

An Apple G355 Powerbook with Mac OS X 10.423

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Another relevant quote, again from Babylon 5... Lorien (who just happens to be immortal): "Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal."

In other words, it's REALLY unlikely that you'd still love your SO after 400 years together.

(The full quote: "To live on as we have [forever] is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received.")

22. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Me (normal): "I'll just do it next week instead."
    Me (immortal): "I'll just do it next century instead."

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

many things happened before we as a society and as humans were ready and i am sure we can think of the consequences that arise ;)

1) invention of the car, but making the driving age 16 to add insult to injury
    2) ah, i can only think of the first one since i have to drive every day...ha...i say raise the legal driving age to 25!!

24. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

Immortality may fix the planet's problem. If people live for a thousand years, they will see the effects of their actions first hand. No more passing problems onto furture generations, they will have to deal with them in their lifetime.

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Since Bill Gates will obviously be able to afford the no-death diskombobulation, maybe he'll have Longhorn out by then :rolleyes:

It wouldn't be a PB by then, it'd be a neural chipset implant.