Immunity to shoot protesters???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wwworry, Nov 17, 2003.

1. wwworry macrumors regular

This is a letter I just received from a friend in London.

Dear xxxxx

As you may know George W Bush is coming to London tomorrow on a full state visit (the first Pres. since Woodrow Wilson to get the full honours).

This covers Weds 19th when I am flying from Heathrow.

Luckily for me, the British govt. has NOT agreed to the White House demand for the closure of the tube network during the visit.

Here are some of the other demands that have NOT been accepted:

- shoot-to-kill policy against possible rioters
    - diplomatic immunity in the case of accidental deaths of protesters by special agents and snipers
    - use of US air force fighter aircraft and Black Hawk
    helicopters to patrol above London
    - use of battlefield weaponry to use against rioters including the 'mini-gun' which is fired from a tank and can kill dozens of people at once
    - security areas around the Pres.to be policed and controlled entirely by US agents and military

(From Observer newspaper yesterday).

But many parts of London will still be closed down from tomorrow to form a "sterile zone" around the President.

I will allow even more time than usual to get to the airport.

Love
    xxxxx

Not only does he refuse to answer questions from our own congress, refuse to divulge info to the 9/11 committee, refuse to divulge who was at the secret energy policy meetings (as if we didn't know), unconstitutionally hold people without trial, lie about the need for war to the American people, now he wants the same power across the whole world. Just who does he think he is??? He acts like a little emporer!

2. leet1 macrumors 6502

rioters deserve to be shot. They are nothing, but trouble :rolleyes:

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

are you kidding?

4. leet1 macrumors 6502

Nope, hve you known of a nice group of rioters?

5. toontra macrumors 6502

Answer me this. When is a protestor a rioter; who decides, and when?

Oh yes - and do you think it should be a shoot to kill policy, or just to wound?

6. mactacular macrumors newbie

I dont think they were intending on killing rioters just for fun. I think maybe they are thinking the riots may get out of control. It is a tough time for america, we shall take no chances. I do think they should have a sterile zone. I also think if a rioter tries to hurt the pres and a secret service agent kills the unruley rioter he should be comended not put in jail. I do not know the need for the mini gun unless it was loaded with ruber bullets. If they want to kill mass amounts of people(i dont think so) they will not be allowed. obviously

7. leet1 macrumors 6502

Peaceful protesting is fine, holding a sign that says some stuff, not causing trouble, not trying to cross fences, pushing police, ect.

Rioter would be a person there thats causing trouble, trying to cross fences, messing with police, destroying property.

8. toontra macrumors 6502

There is a very simple answer to ensure the complete safety of your president from being attacked whilst in the UK - tell him not to come!

If you want to suppress public opinion with military force in the US that's up to you, but what the hell gives your country the right to tell another sovereign state how they should behave?

9. toontra macrumors 6502

What happens if peacefull protestors are caught up in a scuffle between "rioters" and police/military? Would they expect to be shot?

10. leet1 macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

Its not suppressing public opinion. Its controling morons who feel the need to cause trouble. Go there, hold your sign up. You will end up accomplishing nothing, but the thought the he saw your sign and will never come back again. Ha...

You would be surpized, there are people in your country that like Pres. Bush and supported his actions ;)

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i feel very sorry for you, going through life being unable to imagine passion.

12. leet1 macrumors 6502

Hopefully they will be smart enough to get their *** out of there once trouble starts. If not, darwinism gets them :D

13. leet1 macrumors 6502

I don't have to imagine passion ;)

Do you? lol

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

good one

15. toontra macrumors 6502

You are intentionally confusing the issues of peaceful protesting and "rioting". This is often done (especially in totalitarian states) as a pretext for outlawing any form of public protest.

If I (as I intend to) go and show my opposition to Bush's visit on Thursday, I don't expect him to see my sign and say "Hey, this toontra guy says I should go home, so I will!" But what I will be doing is helping to make clear to those in the rest of the world (especially the US), through the media, that there are a lot of people in the UK that disagree strongly with Bush's policies, especially with regard to Iraq.

I'm sure even you would agree that I have the right to hold these views. how would you suggest I show them?

BTW, if there are, as you claim, a lot of people who support Bush and his policies in the UK, well, they are also welcome to come and wave the flag. I'll keep a eye out and let you know if I see any.

16. wwworry thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, I had no idea that we, in the USA, were so far gone. I was at a protest march standing on the sidewalk and was run at by police horses and pushed in the back by police nightsticks. This was later ruled to be excessive force. People have a right to protest. They have a right to their very own streets. The British people ought not to be shot by our military on their streets.

Would you have our military shooting British people in their own country? What's wrong with you?

17. leet1 macrumors 6502

Hold your sign up, watch out, seriously.
    Thats how I suggest you show them.

I'll be watching TV for coverage on it, but do keep an eye out, wish I could be there.

Kinda off topic, but I want to go overseas so damn bad, lol. So curious to see the sights; london, Ireland, Scottland, Paris, and all the other great places. :p

18. wwworry thread starter macrumors regular

When you are on the sidewalk and the police form a line and start pushing you against the thousands behind you there is no where to go. I guess I should die then.

19. mactacular macrumors newbie

wow, I just mearly trying to understand why he wants protection.. they only made requests not demands. You are taking this off the deep end. requests do not equal demands.

20. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

My Lord. You obviously don't understand the potential power of public demonstration.

Read the article on this thread. Here's a quote:

The Bush administration must think there is some effect to protesting. Else, why would they be concerned with protestors appearing on TV.

And the comment about passion is dead on. There are people who believe Bush is a bad president who is doing bad things. Many of these people feel so very passionately. They want to protest because they think someone might hear what they are saying and think, "they are right."

Taft

21. toontra macrumors 6502

They wanted immunity from prosecution if they shot innocent protesters. Does the fact that they even made that "request" in the first place not alarm you?

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yeah, let's just kill everyone with bad luck. That's cool.

I cry for civilisation when people say stupid **** like this and believe it.

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i recommend it.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

24. leet1 macrumors 6502

Whats with the qoute?

"Life sucks. Get a ****ing helmet, okay?" DENIS LEARY

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You won't need one; everything's going just over your head.