Imola GP Thread (Where's iGav?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by AmigoMac, Apr 22, 2005.

1. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I was waiting for this thread to appear but since I haven't seen iGav (The F1 *expert* ape) ;) , I want to start this thread, next race is coming:

Pedro de la Rosa has done very well on Friday practice (by now the best), I guess we can see a return to the podium for Ferrari and some gut fights in the middle field.

Very hard to predict for this weekend really, Renault, Ferrari, McLaren, Toyota, Williams ... Those will be fighting the first 8 places @ qualifying (IMO)

Good luck to A. Wurz.

2. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Is Imola the last GP for Jacques Villeneuve ? The relation between him and Peter Sauber is more sour that most people think. I think JV didn't learn anything for BAR : Shut you darn mouth and drive the f*** car.

I think we are going to see a much better performance from M. Schumacher this weekend. The F2005 is very fast and will able to compete with Toyota and Renault this weekend.

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a pretty safe bet considering his attempts in the last few rounds but I'm still not all that confident. I don't have all that much faith in the new gearboxes.

5. link92 macrumors 6502

I expect Renault to be strong (I expect there demise to be around French/British GP), with the F2005 also being strong.

6. iGav macrumors G3

here I am... :D

:p :p :p

I'm thinking you might be right. ;) the pace of the new McLaren in race trim is seriously impressive stuff, if they can just get the tyres to work properly in qualifying (the MP4-20 is freakishly light on its tyres!) then he'll be right up there, had circumstances not gone against him (much like Schu) I think Kimi would've been leading the championship now.

I'm less concerned with the gearboxes than I am with the current Bridgestone situation.

From Rubens

Sounds good to me.

Anyway... McLaren are already looking very strong, especially Pedro de la Rosa who all of a sudden seems to have donned a cape, started wearing his underpants on the outside of his overalls and completed his transformation into the fastest driver on the planet! :eek: :p I am surprised that McLaren have decided to replace him with Wurz though.

The new aero pack for BAR-Honda seems to have done the job, at least in the hands of Button (what's going on with Sato this season?).

I'm a little surprised with the Toyota's, it's never a good gauge of performance to compare the test drivers with the race drivers during Friday practice because of so many variables... so whilst Zonta is 4th for Toyota, Trulli and Schu Jr. are way back in 13th and 15th respectively... I think they might stuggle to maintain their impressive start to the season.

Renault are competitive, but don't seem to have the advantage they enjoyed in Malaysia and Bahrain... you can bet they'll be right there come qualifying and the race.

As usual with Ferrari it's difficult to judge their pace, as they tend to focus on race set ups come second practice (ominously, usually a sign that they aren't worried about qualifying set up :)) and judging by the times, Schumacher was consistantly the fastest during his runs... either way they're looking very strong.

A couple of disappointments though... Red Bull Racing seem to be well off the pace here lurking down in 16th, 19th and 21st which is surprising. And the new Minardi isn't showing the pace that was hoped/expected of it.

Anyway predictions. It's looking increasingly like a wet race for Sunday (90% chance) now if it's a proper full wet race, Schu will walk it and we might just see Minardi sneaking up the field passing some Michelin shod cars such is the Bridgestone wet superiority. However if the race is changeable... with extended damp periods then the Michelin runners will trounce them.

So then qualifying.

1. Räikkönen
    2. Button
    3. Schumacher
    4. Alonso
    5. Barrichello
    6. Fisichella
    7. Wurz
    8. Trulli

Race (Dry)

1. Räikkönen
    2. Schumacher
    3. Alonso
    4. Button
    5. Barrichello
    6. Fisichella
    7. Wurz
    8. Trulli

Race (Full Wet)

1. Schumacher
    2. Barrichello

Everyone else at least 1 lap behind, in some freakishly unpredictable order. :p

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    iv been a bad f1 fan i havent watched any since last season and with exams coming up i guess ill be joining u guys in june

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Is he not racing? his performance last time was one of the highlights for me, I always love come-from-nowhere drives.

Pretty much everybody is expecting a strong performance from Ferrari this time. But just how strong? The new rules may be dumb but the Bahrain was fun to watch...

9. iGav macrumors G3

no F1??? :eek: exams??? you need to sort your priorities out fella! Now, go stand at the back of class, and think about your behaviour. :p heheheh

Nope... Wurz has replaced him. Wurz is the contracted reserve driver should one of the race drivers suffer an injury. Pedro subbed in Bahrain because up to that point he'd completed significantly more miles in the MP4-20 than Wurz, due to the fact that Wurz couldn't initially fit into the MP4-20.

Pedro was brilliant in Bahrain though... classic Mansell'esque over driving. :p but fast as f**k as well!!! :eek: :p :D

10. brap macrumors 68000

Alex Wurz, huh?

You mean the guy who was quite literally laughed out of F1, overweight, flippant, regularly-falling-off-the-track, smoker? I can't remember who he used to drive for... was it Renault, in their first season after Benetton perhaps?
    I'll always remember Brundle and good ol' Murray Walker chatting about how they felt so sorry about the way the other drivers made fun of him just before he was fired. :rolleyes: ;)

As for the race... I've a feeling the Ferrari boys will be going seat-of-their-pants for this. It's not like they have much chance of their car staying the 2-race distance anyway. Should be interesting. I also really hope DC stays competitive... he's too pragmatic for words, it'd be good to see him get riled up once in a while.

The rest? *shrug* it's all a bit random, with the new rules. So long as Jenson gets his ass handed on a plate by someone, I'm cool.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's too bad, I predict Wurz will do squat on the track.

Me too, though I'm rooting for Red Bull as a team more than anything. As soon as Scott Speed gets his drive I'll be a rabid fan. :D

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well it's good to see Michael up there and competitive again after the Saturday's qualifying. It's also pretty encouraging to see Kimi on top. He was one of the most hyped drivers when I started following the sport (only a few years ago, but hey, Aussie coverage is crap :( ) and it'd be good if he could get his act together in a couple of consecutive races to reassure all those critics who claimed he'd be the next Michael Schumacher.

The main reason I stay up late to watch these things, Mark Webber, qualified well yet again. Let's just hope he does the same tomorrow (likely) and then follows it up with a podium finish (unlikely :rolleyes: ).

Oh well, it should be a relatively good race. Most of the start-of-season gremlins should be pretty much completely ironed out of the cars by now so we can start making much better gambles as to who exactly's gonna win this circus.

13. iGav macrumors G3

First off...

ITV are the absolute, WORST ******* ******* *** **** ****** **** channel on the face of this ******* ******* *** **** ****** **** planet, judging by the fact that the website appears to be down, it's safe to assume that I'm not the only one thinking this. C****!

Now down to business... congratulations to Alonso, a lucky, lucky B****** if ever I saw one. But magnificent under seriously intense pressure.

Kimi needs a hug... when will he actually get a ****** reliable car that does his talents justice??? when it comes to being fast in unknown conditions he's right up there with Schu, the first couple of laps show exactly what kind of confidence this guy has when conditions are unknown, and you have to go balls out first lap! There's only one other driver on the grid that does that, and he's a 7x WDC... now either McLaren give the guy a car to do the job, or he moves to Ferrari. Simple. But the flack he's taken recently is disgusting... put this guy in the same car as Alonso... and Alonso WOULDN'T see which way he went. Period.

Lastly... anyone who saw Senna on one of his qualifiers will know exactly what I'm talking about here, the intensity of focus to extract the absolute maximum and beyond of a car, where Senna was a master at this over one lap, Schumacher's ability to maintain this over a race distance is, certainly in my time watching F1 unrivaled... I've never seen the kind of commitment over such a period during a race by ANY other driver that Schumacher can just seemingly knock out at will, even Brundle and Blundle were in awe (which is saying something).

Oh... and I do believe that's F1 4... Moto GP 0. ;)

heheheh

14. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

ITV.
    what a bunch of twats

who goes to an ad break with 3 laps of dogfighting to go?

ITV as iGav says, are a complete waste of ******* space.

Lucky we got to see the last lap live, although I'm willing to bet that it was fed back to us a minute or two late. bastards.
    :mad:

15. iGav macrumors G3

A ******* travesty wasn't it. :mad:

Regardless of who won, it was the closest, most electric racing we've seen in years, and I...T...******* V go to a break 3 laps from the end :mad: can you imagine them doing that in the football? actually... they don't even do that in Pop Idol never mind the footie :eek: :mad:

16. devman macrumors 65816

devman

well that was an amazing performance by Ferrari (the team) and Schumacher. I'm not a serious F1 fan, but I think the rule changes are taking the racing out of F1. i.e. passing now (mostly) relies on a serious error by the car in front. The higher front wing and resulting lack of downforce means the car behind is all over the place once within .6-.7 seconds (as stated by one of the commentators) and of course, not being able to change tires also makes passing moves very, very risky.

To me it felt like Schu wasn't going to risk it unless Alonso made a big enough error - better to get some points on the board (even though alonso would extend his lead over schu by 2 points) and remind everyone that you're "still about."

The pace of the Ferrari was ominous. The next few races will be very, very interesting.

But, I'm interested in the opinion of those that follow the sport far more than I do (which is to watch the occasional race).

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well that was a race... schuhmacher was very good and he deserved the 2. place absolutly (just like alonse deserved the first one)

Wurz did his job as as usually, McLaren has simply the best replacement drivers. 4,5 years no racing/only friday trainings and then driving a race with constantly faster lap times than most others (Schuhmacher and Alonso excluded of course)

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I totally agree with iGav that Raikkonen is awesome - if he had a reliable car the race would have been quite different, he was definitely going for a podium and probably first. It was such a disappointment to see him drop out. Alonso did a fantastic job though, he and Renault have proven to be solid and not a flash in the pan. Now if only they could get Fisichella to finish a race...

BAR had their first decent showings too - BOTH cars finished, in the points, with a podium - wow! Schumacher's pass of Button was one of the highlights of the race.

Wurz did better than I thought as well, McLaren have some prett damn good test drivers.

CBS went to a commercial with 6 laps left and came back with 4 to go - good ol' Speed channel, for all it's faults, usually went the last 20 minutes or so with no commercials, which was nice. But going to a commercial with three to go, and Schu breathing right down Alonso's neck? :eek: Afwul!

19. Davito macrumors member

Yeah! Alex Wurz! Not bad, huh?

20. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Well the BS thing with CBS showing the races is that they are not live, so I knew what happened before I watched it. In some way I am glad I did because I would have probably busted the TV when Schu couldn't get around Alonso. However, I was very proud when he strolled past the BAR Honda, taking Button's balls with him.
    As best as I can figure, Trulli didn't have a falling out with Renault and is in fact a covert agent for them on the Toyota team, qualifying high enough to act as a mobile chicane so that Alonso can put distance in between himself and the rest of the field. I hope Fisi has learned the dangers of drinking and driving, he looked more like he was piloting a Jordan.
    Congrats to Bridgestone for making some shoes that actually last the entire race! Schu and Ferrari have a long way to go, but this race shows that he means business!

21. iGav macrumors G3

and so he did... by Schu. :D

anyway... speaking of the self styled "Greatest Driver in the World", the FIA are appealing the race result after the car was found to be underweight after it was drained of fluids after the race.

Rinky dink link

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

LOL, that was one of the highlights of the race, Schuey put him solidly in his place. I'm curious as to what BAR's explanatin was.

With all the speed Schu and Kimi had, we should be seeing them on the podium regularly again. Alonso will be hard pressed to beat both Ferraris and Kimi if their cars hold up. That carbon-cased gearbox still haunted Barichello.

Slightly OT, but I just read yesterday that Ferrari is definitely going to be supplying Red Bull with engines in '06.

EDIT:I was just reading up on the ITV coverage fiasco; their spokesman said that they were "obliged to include five commercial breaks during a race and that [they] did not want to take the final break while Jenson Button was in the lead"...

What a crock! It wasn't as if Button was actually threatening for the lead like Schumi was. Everyone knew he still had to pit, but he got pwned by Schumi anyway. :rolleyes: Bunch of a**clowns.

23. iGav macrumors G3

so am I. ;)

It's a shame Schu had that off in quali, because he would have absolutely creamed the field with the pace he had... and to think he never actually got to do clean runs on low fuel in the race :eek: there was a low 1.21 high 1.20 in that car. :D

I think the really astonishing thing is that after the first set of stops, with fuel on board and worn tyres he was immediately knocking out 1.22.7's or in other words he was pretty much faster when he was at his heaviest than the other guys were at their lightest. :eek: :D

Was Barrichello's problems the gearbox? The post race interviews have been saying an unknown electrical problem... but I've not heard anything else?

They have, speaking of Ferrari engines, I only found out today that Schu was using the same engine as Bahrain, meaning that he gets a fresh one for Spain. :D

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That was classic Schu - fantastic driving with no excuses. How many others in F1 could drive like that? Alonso is solid this year but Kimi is the only other driver that could pull off anything near to what Michael did at Imola, and right now his car won't go the distance. Ferrari really produced another stunner in the F2005.

All the F1 rumor sites are crying "GEARBOX" despit the offical electrical fault, but it is still speculation...apparently they changed Barichello's on Friday and word got out despite efforts to hush it. Schumacher stated in a pre-race interview that the gearboxes that failed previously were different from the ones used in Imola, so I suppose it is possible that they have solved the problems and it was electrical.